Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Having trouble coping

samanthaa

• Members

I have a 12 yr old Aussie Shepard mix dog. She is the sweetest most gentle thing on earth. About 2 weeks ago I found a lump on her side which was causing her pain. I called the vet to take her in but due to financial issues we can't get her in till the 16th. Late last night I noticed that she was walking with a severe limp on the same side as her lump. And I lost it. I know she is getting older and will soon depart this world. But I am having trouble dealing with that. The vet may want to remove the lump from her and we just don't have the money that is going to require. So I have been thinking about putting her down. I wont let her suffer, but I do not know if putting her to sleep is a good idea or not. I know I am being selfish, but when I laid down with her this morning she just held my arm and didn't want to let go. Her breathing is becoming more struggled and her eyes look tired. She has also stopped eating her dog food. I have to tempt her to eat with human foods that I know she likes. I just dont know what to do anymore. I dont want to lose my sweet Millie, but I dont want to be the one to cause her to suffer either.

• Members

I have a 12 yr old Aussie Shepard mix dog. She is the sweetest most gentle thing on earth. About 2 weeks ago I found a lump on her side which was causing her pain. I called the vet to take her in but due to financial issues we can't get her in till the 16th. Late last night I noticed that she was walking with a severe limp on the same side as her lump. And I lost it. I know she is getting older and will soon depart this world. But I am having trouble dealing with that. The vet may want to remove the lump from her and we just don't have the money that is going to require. So I have been thinking about putting her down. I wont let her suffer, but I do not know if putting her to sleep is a good idea or not. I know I am being selfish, but when I laid down with her this morning she just held my arm and didn't want to let go. Her breathing is becoming more struggled and her eyes look tired. She has also stopped eating her dog food. I have to tempt her to eat with human foods that I know she likes. I just dont know what to do anymore. I dont want to lose my sweet Millie, but I dont want to be the one to cause her to suffer either.

drsx0, how are things? i came here for two reasons, one is that i lost my beautiful black lab last May and i'm having a horrible time dealing with it and i found your post with no reply!! i am worried. i've had quite a few dogs over the years and i know that dogs get what our vet calls *ODBs* Old Dog Bumps.. They rarely amount to anything serious but can erupt in places where it's painful to move (in an armpit or on their bottom) and must be removed for that reason. i'm hoping that's the case....... sincerely, dp

• Members

drsx0, how are things? i came here for two reasons, one is that i lost my beautiful black lab last May and i'm having a horrible time dealing with it and i found your post with no reply!! i am worried. i've had quite a few dogs over the years and i know that dogs get what our vet calls *ODBs* Old Dog Bumps.. They rarely amount to anything serious but can erupt in places where it's painful to move (in an armpit or on their bottom) and must be removed for that reason. i'm hoping that's the case....... sincerely, dp

DP,

This is so kind of you to respond to DRSx0. I am sorry about your black lab. I am a cat person, and when I lost my cat Emmy after 15 years of being together, it was simply horrible. I am still feeling the guilt of not deciding to put her down. Instead, I thought the vet was wrong when he said Emmy had cancer. She suffered before she went; I know I will never do that again to any of my cats.

I also had a kitten that I took in (Felix) get run over last October. That was terrible.I felt guilty at first over getting new cats, but I know there are millions of homeless and lonely would-be pets that need homes. Since Emmy, I've rescued several cats, and I've become the proud mom of four of them--Bob, Mia, Sophia and Skye. I am glad I reached out to love again. They have brought me great joy, which will always be tinged with a bit of sadness because Emmy was a true friend.

I hope DRSx0 has had good news about his dog.

ModKonnie

• Members
LittleBeans83

Just a thought, our girl Domino, had the same symptoms that you speak of. Took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with congestive heart. I was devastated as I thought for sure it would be a death sentence, however, Domino is now is year 13, and three years after diagnosis. She does take Vetmedin 5mg twice a day, but the vet says that she responds very well to it. No pain, and her quality of life is essentially the same, actually, we joke, slightly better because she gets her pills in treats that she wouldn't have normally gotten.

Anyway, I am not a vet, but this is just my experience. Don't jump to conclusions because it may be something regulated by treatment. I would recommend taking your pet into the get as soon as you are financially able, usually it only costs 35-65 for a check up, depending on your vet.

Keep us updated on what happens, and know that we are here for you no matter what happens.

Take care.

• Members
immissingyou
:( My heart goes out to you all. Have found two lumps on my precious Harley and combined with bad hips her time with us isn't for much longer. Funny how you can just tell by the look in their eyes. One of the hardest and worst things about pet ownership is when it's time to let them go.

• Members

I recently just lost my grandma to pancreatic cancer and that is so difficult for me to cope with. I am in need of support right now. Please email me...... I would like to hear from you. Once my dog passed away a few years ago, it took 2 years to get another dog. It is so hard to lose a pet..... dog,cat,bird,goldfish...... any animal.

Thank You,

Samantha

Archived