Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sad day

ck2d

• Members

I had to put my cat to sleep today.  Yes on Christmas.  She declined rapidly with kidney failure.  It was an awful night and and awful decision to have to make.  

Now I feel like I have to keep it to myself.  I don't want to ruin anyone's holiday, especially my son's.  And I also know he'll be hurt when he finds out later.

I feel like I have the weight of the world on me, all alone.  And I feel like I'm being dramatic.  I just want to sleep the day away and forget about Christmas.

• Members

I'm so very sorry for your loss especially on a day meant for family and celebration. You are not being too dramatic. It is one of the most difficult things in the world to lose a beloved companion and your reaction is completely understandable and relatable. It is some of the worst pain and loss I have ever experienced, even more so than losing a parent. I have lost a few cats to kidney disease over the years and it never gets any easier. There is so much guilt and regret involved. Afterwards, I would second guess every decision I made, whether I waited too long to end her suffering or whether I could have done more.

I hope you're able to find some peace in that you gave her a wonderful life and that she bonded so wonderfully with you and your son. I'm sure she loved you all so much and appreciated the comfort and happiness that came from having a family. Healing will take time. Be gentle with yourself. Let yourself feel the loss and don't ever think you're being too emotional. They are our family. Their love is unconditional and unwavering. We deserve the time necessary to heal and get through this truly terrible loss. 

Take care and be well. I'm sorry this happened, especially today.

Biscuit's Dad

• Moderators
21 hours ago, ck2d said:

I had to put my cat to sleep today.  Yes on Christmas

My cousin's daughter lost her cat too yesterday, 4:30 Christmas morning.  She'd quit eating, IMO probably kidney/liver shut down.

You are not being dramatic, this is very hard and seems all the worse because it happened when it did, of course you want to forget Christmas!  I can't sleep when I'm upset, but I pray you get some relief.  I am so sorry.

http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-grieving-animal-lovers.htm

• Members

I'm really sorry to hear this. Christmas  can be such a happy time but as now, a most unhappy time. No matter what day, you did what was necessary. I've found talking on here very comforting, we are here because of the love we had. I lost my lovely boy Goldie 2 weeks ago from kidney failure. . The world seems to have ended. This will take time, please take care. 

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

My cousin's daughter lost her cat too yesterday, 4:30 Christmas morning.  She'd quit eating, IMO probably kidney/liver shut down.

You are not being dramatic, this is very hard and seems all the worse because it happened when it did, of course you want to forget Christmas!  I can't sleep when I'm upset, but I pray you get some relief.  I am so sorry.

http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-grieving-animal-lovers.htm

Thank you, and I'm sorry your relative lost her pet too.

1 hour ago, Gary55 said:

I'm really sorry to hear this. Christmas  can be such a happy time but as now, a most unhappy time. No matter what day, you did what was necessary. I've found talking on here very comforting, we are here because of the love we had. I lost my lovely boy Goldie 2 weeks ago from kidney failure. . The world seems to have ended. This will take time, please take care. 

Thank you, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Archived