Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Holidays

BEQUET93

• Members

I hope everyone is managing the season and that there are more good hours than bad. When the new year arrives, hopefully it will bring us closer to acceptance and peace. It can be difficult. There are moments when I tell myself that my mother deserved for me to not "get over this", but that isn't what she would want. It wouldn't change what happened and would ultimately accomplish nothing.

Each of us has a unique experience of loss, but no one is truly alone. At any moment, there is someone somewhere in the world who has some idea of what we as individuals are going through and it has helped me that so many people have shared their experiences with me. In 45 years, this is my first ever Christmas without my mother and it does feel unreal, but half of my genes are copies of hers and she is still in my heart and memory. It will eventually be okay.

My best to you all.

• Members

Thanks for your thoughts. My girlfriend died suddenly the day before Thanksgiving, so I can't say, honestly, that there have been any good hours over the past 4 1/2 weeks. None. I know it's early in the grief process, but I suspect future Thanksgivings and Christmases will always be affected by what happened that day. I have found value in reading other's experiences on this site and offering my own thoughts. It's been helpful to know that I'm not unique in my experience of the sudden loss of my girlfriend.

Archived