Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Feels like I'm dating my mom

Andi89

• Members

Hi, my mom died when I was in my late teens and I've moved on since then. At least I thought. But now I'm dating a woman who feels like my mom. It's freaking me out! I get so much love and attention from her, even her laughter reminds me of my mom. But there are also differences between them, been trying to focus on those. However since I realised this our sex life went downhill. I feel so much love for both of them and we have such a loving, grown up relationship with this woman. It's very new to me to have this, maybe that's why I feel this way as my mom wad the last person who made me feel this loved. I don't know what to do, how to separate her and my mom in my head. I don't want to lose either of them! Any advice? What can I do? 

• Members

Dear Andi,

Losing your mom in your late teens was a devastating experience. Men and women in general do look for the same qualities in their partner that their parents represented/

I think it would help to talk to a professional therapist about this to work through your thoughts and feelings. I'm sure your girlfriend might even go with you and will appreciate hearing you don't want to lose her.  

Wishing you all the best.

Archived