Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Getting Through December Into January

Kelly

• Administrators

Hi all,

Holidays are rough when you are grieving. Talking about it helps. I see some people already posting their thoughts, feelings and stories. Keep sharing. If we post all our stories in one thread (like this one) it will help keep conversation flowing better.

Kelly

• Members

So I’ve always been a grinch, I hate the stress that people have from trying to fit some ludicrous ideal of “Christmas” my mom would always stress about getting gifts, cooking perfect meals, visiting our family in the city...
But my Dad just treated it like a chance to have a potluck. Him & my stepmom never really decorated, and we didn’t do a gift exchange really (sometimes she’d get or make me a thing, cause she’s sweet like that). Mostly we’d just sit and eat, then go watch the rest of LOTR or GOT.
I saw that LOTR is on HBO, I wanna it and watch it but I also know it’s gonna hurt. It’s hard.

• Members

I am a big LOTR fan. My husband wasn't as much. But I understand what you mean. I have a hard time watching shows and movies he and I watched together. Maybe try to do something small, like getting a special ornament that reminds you of your loved one or make a dish they liked. I always go overboard with the holidays but this year is especially hard so going to scale it back a lot. I wish you some peace and happiness this year. ❤

Archived