Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What is working for internal ZEN & Peace - Please share your tips

Kelly

• Administrators

Hi all,

Please share what is helping you through these troubled waters of 2020. I will list some that have worked for me.

• Walks outside in nature.
  • Putting my face to the sun (with eyes closed) for a few moments while on my walks. BLISS!
  • Playing the piano
  • Working on learning/refreshing my second language
  • LAUGHING

What are yours?

Kelly

• Like 2

• Members

My 2 kids keep me grounded.

Ditto on walking in nature.

Exercise ... in particular cardio

laughing is great

last but not least, praying and meditation.  Both of which, are a work in progress:)

• Like 4

• Administrators

Love the pictures ModArtemis and the tips steveb!! Thank you for sharing. Anyone else?

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you for starting this thread Kelly. I am with you and Steve and it is so important to laugh. Netflix, YouTube videos have helped a lot. Being able to talk to friends or family even via FaceTime makes a difference. 

• Like 3

• Members

I find that being physical helps me too, it’s hard sometimes to get going but once I get going it help.
I’ve always liked doing crafts and stuff, I started a cross stitch pattern after my Dad passed and it’s been very soothing. It’s such a repetitive thing, and you really have to pay attention to your counting, it’s helped to stop my mind from wandering into not so great places.
Sometimes a good old fashioned scream/yell/sing in the car is the ticket though. If anyone remember me that ska song “the impression that get” from the mighty mighty bosstones.... it’s great energy and I just shout the lyrics at full volume.

Thanks for sharing everyone, it’s good to hear others’ coping mechanisms.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 11/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, Kelly said:

Hi all,

Please share what is helping you through these troubled waters of 2020. I will list some that have worked for me.

• Walks outside in nature.
  • Putting my face to the sun (with eyes closed) for a few moments while on my walks. BLISS!
  • Playing the piano
  • Working on learning/refreshing my second language
  • LAUGHING

All of those, minus the language thing. Watching shows and movies that are more upbeat (as far as I can tell anyway). Also big on documentaries, esp nature some good ones on Netflix. Listening to and writing music. 

And granted a glass or two ish of wine doesn't hurt. :)

• Like 1

• Members
On 12/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, Jacx said:

It’s such a repetitive thing, and you really have to pay attention to your counting, it’s helped to stop my mind from wandering into not so great places.

I find this to be true about writing math problems; doing so, and drawing, help to calm a tumultuous mind, and also to keep me sharp enough to cut through the fog of grief. The others are writing and walking outside.

• Like 2

• Members

Thanks for the lead.  It's nice to think about not only what's hurting but what helps.

For me, writing helps, especially creative writing.  Any kind of creativity is good for pain,  I think.

I also watch a lot of You Tube and other online videos, looking for the ones that are just pure laughs (like dogs doing dumb things or something) or the ones that are truly reliably informative and educational, or l think of a song I love and then try to find as many versions of it as I can and pick the best then share it with friends via email.

Music, especially really can't-help-but-move-those-feet music, like Sly and the Family Stone works for me.

Reading.   Sometimes it's hard to concentrate, so besides full length books I got a couple of the type you can dip into here and there--quote a day, e.g.

Prayer, religion, faith.

I felt like being rather isolated during COVID and also grieving was making me a little self-absorbed, so I have been making a concerted effort to focus on other people and to ask them a lot of questions and to listen to them better, even if they have nothing in common with me, it just helps to be really interested in them instead of looking inward too much.

• Like 1