Share Your Loved One's Pictures

In our beautiful Gallery

Grief Support Marketplace

Check Our New Products In The Marketplace

Take Grieving.com on the Go!

Buy on Apple and Google Play
New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

• Members

Daisy came into my life by accident in the fall of 2006. I was driving home from a friends house and decided at the last minute to get a gallon of milk. I turned onto a side street and had to slow down for a police car on the side of the road with flashing lights. I glanced over as I passed by to see a woman holding a small white dog down in the yard. The dog had her head raised and looked me as I went by, something about her stayed with me all night. I had been thinking about getting a dog so the next morning I called vet's offices. The second one had her and told her name was Daisy. They were getting ready to put her to sleep because she had a broken leg and the owner no longer wanted to care for her. Her leg was broken in a way that she would have to be taken over an hour away to have surgery. I left work and picked her up and took her to have a pin put her in leg. Her owner signed her over to me and I took her home. She was the best dog I have ever had or been around, she was so smart and loved to play. Her favorite place in the house was sitting on the back of the couch where she could see the front yard. She would bark at everything that moved, I could always tell her bark from if it was a person or an animal. She followed me everywhere I went. Every night when I sat in the recliner she would walk along the back of the couch and lay on the arm rest to be close to me. Sometimes she would raise her paw to let me know she wanted attention. If I was laying on the couch she would walk along the front of the couch and stop in front of me so I could pick her up. If I was working in the front yard I would leave the door open so she could watch me through the storm door. She loved to go on walks and would have to stop and smells everything.  She developed arthritis in her front legs a few years ago. She could no longer go up and down stairs. Every morning I would pick her up and carry down the stairs to the back yard. I would sit on the steps and wait on her to come back to me. Every time I picked her up she would jump a little with her front legs to help me. She would always give me a kiss on the cheek as I carried her down the stairs. She was so sweet and I know she loved me. She slept next to me every night for the 14 years of her life. She was more then just a pet, she was my soul dog. I know my life will never be the same now that she is gone. I have felt so guilty about her passing. I built ramps from her to get on the couch and the bed. She was on the couch on the 15th July and fell on the floor. She hurt her back and would not stand on her back legs. I rushed her to the vet and was going to take her to get an MRI. They did a blood test and told me her kidneys had stopped working. I was so devastated, I feel like I lost someone that was so important to and no one understands that.  I have cried every day since she died. I pray to god to please make sure she is safe, protected and in a good place and most important that she is loved. I loved her so much and I was so scared for her. I tried to so hard to make her life good. Since she looked out the windows all day I tinted them to protect her eyes. She knew my suv was too high for her to jump when I opened the door. She would walk into my arms and I would sit her on the ground. She loved to go for rides and pretty much let the neighborhood know she was getting to go on one. She would be so excited and bark and carry on. Coming home is not the same now, she was always so happy to see me. She would have that tail wagging like crazy every time I came home, even if it had only been 10 minutes. I have had trouble sleeping because she is no longer next to me. I have been in the waking process a few morning to see her sitting at the foot of the bed watching me. I heard her walking across the floor one night, she would always snort or make a noise to let me know she wanted on the bed. I could go on and on about this wonderful dog that changed my life. I saved her and gave her 14 years that she would not have had. I hope when I die that means something and I will get to be with her again. She is all I think about 24/7. Daisy was an American Eskimo mix. She was perfect for me and I could not have rescued a better companion. I never thought about a day I would be here without her and now that day is here. It has been so hard to deal with. 

daisy2.jpg.4e1c3183c5a813806c00c3f7900963fe.jpg119689518_daisycloseup.jpg.c5b1bdded6313b292390c5e26995d26f.jpg1085871997_daisy4.jpg.cd4e235684bf9141b5e8e570be0debf0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Members
KayC

Your Daisy is so beautiful, looks a little like my dog Fluffy did (He was Cocker Spaniel/American Eskimo). Here he is, at the right as a baby...

FluffySnow.jpg

FluffySanta.jpg

• Members
KittyGirl

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Daisy. She is a beauty. I lost my sweet Kitty back in July too. She was 17 years & 5 months at the time. She's been in my family since she was 6 months old and for the last 14 years, I took over her care. I too am devastated in the loss of her and the first initial weeks were extremely hard to bear. It hurts even more because she died unnecessarily for something that was treatable, not caught in time. Very hard to live with that and only wish I could go back to change things. She was perfect for me and I will never love anyone as deeply as I love her. They are so innocent and give us so much unconditional love & loyalty, that the loss of them just completely shatters us. What we would give to have more time with them.

• Like 1
  • Members

Hello, I am sorry about Kitty. I also wondered if Daisy's condition could have been caught sooner. I relied on the vet to tell me what tests she needed on a regular basis. I had no clue anything was going on until she fell. Up to that point she had been acting okay, other than her arthritis issues. I felt so guilty and that I should have taken those ramps away so she would not be able to get on the furniture. I miss her so much and it has not been easy. I have not dealt with it very well and still struggle. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

It's amazing how close we become to them, we even love their catitudes.

• Members

The puppy belonged to Kay, she posted the pictures. I did not want Daisy to have puppies so I had her spayed. I kind of wish I had because I would have kept one or two or all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Members
Collettesweetbear

Awwwwe, yeah I think about that too. If I hadn’t had scooter fixed I could have had her babies. Then I could tell them how wonderful their mommy was and all the special gifts and love she gave me. Daisy’s baby photo’s are so lovely and emotional. Those eyes! See has these gorgeous eyes. Look at Daisy the puppy! What a real angel She is cute as a button with her little doggie button nose. I can see why you guys were made for each other. I can see why you both locked eyes and knew instantly she was the one. Look at her wearing the Santa hat!!!!!!! Precious, precious young lady. I love when I see dogs in hats. I just think doggies with little hats on gets me every time. Well, there’s no mistaking she sure was your soul mate. I miss scooter every moment. She was only 6 pounds her whole 17 years, but Hugh personality. Persians can get a little fussy. When she would hiss and get fussy I knew someone needed to go down for a little 30 mins. She would too. 30 min nap and she was practically clicking her heels with a bowel full of energy. What a darling she was.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

The puppy pics were my Fluffy, I was trying to show why her pics of Daisy reminded me of him, they both have similar blood lines.  Something about the eyes...

• Members
Collettesweetbear

Omgosh, I see. My apologies. Wow fluffy you’re right fluffy could have been Daisy as a pup. Same gorgeous eyes, same color fur. Awwwwwwwwee. Yup, doggies sure have beauty and personality that is on a grand scale.

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

Yep, that's why I posted pics of him, she reminds me of him, he was beautiful, and so sweet, I lost him about 23 years ago.

• Members
KayC

These aren't very good pictures of Fluffy, but honestly, remembering him, it was dejavu when I saw her pictures!

• Members

I went to get the mail and when I walked back to the front door my 3 month old puppy was sitting at the door looking out just like Daisy did. He does so many things that remind me of her, I miss her so much. It was really hard to make the decision to get him. The woman that had him decided he needed to be in my house and asked me to take him. He was already spoiled when I got him. He slept on the bed with her kids and now he sleeps on the bed with me. He is a Eskimo and mini Australian Shepherd mix. Daisy was a Eskimo mix but not sure with what. 

teddy3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Members

Yes, the kids that he spent the first 3 months with named him Teddy. I decided to leave him named that since he comes to me when I call him. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

He is beautiful, adorable!  My Kodie is a Klee Kai, which was bred to be a miniature Husky with the American Eskimo for the size, they started the breed in 1984, they're rare and HTF.  I recognize the Eskimo in his face by the shape of the nose, and also he does this squeaking noise that reminds me of my little sister's Am. Eskimos.  He has the tiny feet too, but personality is much like Husky and so much soft fur!  I love the eyes in Teddy (I used to have a golden retriever named teddy because he looked like a teddy bear when I got him as a puppy. 

I wish you many many years with him!

• Members

Hi Kay,

How did you get used having a puppy? There is a breeder in MO that has Klee Kai's. She had a litter of a Klee Kai and Eskimo mix a few months ago. I almost bought one but decided it was too soon after Daisy and I was not ready. Teddy has helped a lot with not feeling so alone, that is why I wanted another dog. My house was just so empty feeling with Daisy not here. He does things that remind me so much of her. When I walk him in the front yard if there is something he is interested in he pull at the leash in that direction every time we go out. Daisy would do the same thing and would fight me to go back to that spot every time. She used to find dead worms in the grass, she would taste it than roll on it. I guess it's an eskimo thing because he dose the same thing. I took him to my sisters today, 3rd time. He was scared of her dogs but today she started playing with her young shih tzu. They chased each other around the house and barked a lot. I had to help her get her Christmas tree's out and put together. She told me I needed to get another puppy for him to play with. I am not sure I am ready for another one right now. I will just take him to her house to play. I hope I did the right thing in getting him. I know I will never get over Daisy.    

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

This little guy is so delightful, he captured my heart!  He wasn't daunted by my grief and reverence of Arlie, he just kept on with his adorableness and broke through the fog that is mine now.  He is so in tune with me and even my pain, whether inner or physical.  I've always had a dog so I'm used to walking them, etc.  He housebroken within about three months of getting him, finally went from "accidents" to none.  Can hold it a long time now.  He did require a lot of watching as he ate my carpet in four places and chewed on my rocking chair, got my shoe once and a couple of pairs of socks.  ;)  I've learned to not leave the socks lying on the floor!  And I close my bedroom door when I leave him alone in the house.  But he's very good now and learning all the time.  He is great company.  Wish I could have seen the pups in MO!  Wonder what size they'll get?  Kodie was the runt of the litter but he's catching up, 16 1/2 lbs I'd guess, his parents each 20.

Me too, I'll never be over Arlie, maybe that's why God gave me one so different!  He knew I couldn't find another Arlie, they don't exist.  Yet sometimes things about him remind me of Arlie, like how they lay on the floor when they want a bellyrub!

• Members
On 11/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, Collettesweetbear said:

Hi Kay,  Teddy is the same way, he just marches on no matter how I feel. I just took him to the vet for his second booster shot, the first at my vet's. The vet called me and said they all loved him, he was very good and never made a fuss over anything. I am glad about that because I have never had one that acted up. She told me he weighs 15 pounds now so that should put him around 30 as a adult. Teddy is pretty much house broke, he will go to the front door and sit when he wants out. I have bells hanging on the back door but he has not used those yet. I am still working on that with him. I have not left him very long so I am not sure about accidents yet, I take him out every couple of hours. 

I hate to keep going on about Daisy but I can't help it. This morning I was thinking about how I used to whisper her name when she was sleeping next to me. Her ear would twitch and she would wag her tail. When she would stop I would do it again and she would wag her tail. She would do that the whole time she was snoring. I picture her now hearing me say her name and wagging her tail. 

• Like 1
  • Members
KayC

Ahh, that is so sweet!  She was aware of you even in her sleep!  Arlie always let me know when he needed to do his business and I'd let him out, Kodie doesn't, I have to take him out.  He has the crazy notion he shouldn't do it in his fence!  Also won't use the doghouse.  First dog I had that wouldn't!  I take him out twice to go and walk him two other times in between.  On a schedule.  I guess that's good except not sure what I'll do when it snows deep, he's too short to get around in it!  And if I shovel a place for him to go, no way to get that idea across to him!  Hoping it doesn't snow that much but there have been times here over the years that it got deep.  Owning a small dog is a new thing to me, used to Arlie, who was tall and big!  I miss him...

• Members

Hi Kay, I am kind of having the same issue with Teddy. He will go to the front door and sit, so I know he needs to go out. He will not go out in the yard unless I am standing at the bottom of the steps. I hope he gets over that at some point. He is starting to walk the whole yard instead of staying close to the house so maybe he will adventure out on his own.  I would always make a path through the snow for Daisy. Most of the time she would end up making her own path, I guess she did not like the one I made. I will clear a big place in the yard for her but sometimes that was not where she wanted to go. I am going to start taking Teddy to daycare two days a week. I hope that will help him some of his separation anxiety. It is supposed to storm bad here over night. I guess I will be finding out how he does with lightening and thunder. If Daisy saw flashing lights out side she would start shaking before she heard the thunder.    

• Like 1
  • Members
Collettesweetbear

You know, it could be thunder and lightning and Scooter wouldn’t flinch. I could vacuum right by the couch where she was sitting and she wouldn’t flinch. Maybe on occasion when she was asleep on my chest and a really loud lighting/thunder “BOOM” she might lift her head and that’s it! A cat even! I could clap my hands and dance and she would just stand there and watch, yawn and walk off. She could hear perfectly. Vet said, she passes hearing tests beautifully, no hearing loss one bit. My neighbor says her cat fly’s under the bed, and there’s no getting her out. Amazing that Scooter. They have their own little things to them.

DKO, KayC, did getting Teddy as a new little friend help you with the unbearable pain? I know you and KayC think about Daisy and Arlie every second of the day, me too. Does having Teddy and Kodie help any with the “I can’t function” pain? My therapist wants me to get another cat and just when I think ahhh, a new little kitten, Scooter’s face pops in my mind and I immediately cry and switch back to, I could never go through this pain again. Not twice.

• Like 1
  • Members

Hi,  I did the same thing about Daisy many times. I would get close to getting another dog and I would see a picture of Daisy. I would not be able to go through with it and back out. I felt so many regrets with Daisy and she deserved so much more. I was thinking about the times I left her alone to go help a friend at her coffee bar. The times I went to the show, I never went at night. I know I did a lot for Daisy and gave her so much but was it enough? The thing for me was I did not want to correct my mistakes with another dog I wanted to correct them with her. I wanted her life to be perfect. I was not going to get this puppy but the woman that asked him texted me 3 times. She asked me to take him and give him the home he deserves. I broke down and took him. There are several things he does that reminds me so much of Daisy. As soon as I start driving with him in the passenger seat he goes to sleep, just like she did. He stretches' out against the pillow on the bed just like she did. I have caught him sleeping on his back with his legs straight up in the air. He sits in front of me and stares at me if he wants me to play with him. I couldn't tell you how many times Daisy did that. I would be reading a book and there she would be staring at me until I put the book down and play. I wish I could do all of that over with her again. I would have taken her more places with me. 

• Like 1
  • Members
Collettesweetbear

I know you would have DKO. 🥺 Daisy was the love of your life. Your child/soulmate/best friend. And, on and on. I’m right there with you. I could have played with scooter more and thrown her little soccer ball and she would run fast as she could to go get it and then she would just stand there with her little ball. She’s a cat of course she’s gonna stand there. So, I would run to her and throw back the other way. She ran and ran and then stood there. Too funny. She loved her little pink soccer ball. I can look back and think of countless times I was busy doing something and I could have played soccer with her. If only I would have been there for her more and cuddled more.

• Like 1