Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

You Guys, How Do We Survive The Holidays

StillAlive

• Members

Christmas is my 2nd favorite holiday. My father would be turning 73 this year, on December 23rd...I have dinner reservations and a fancy dress all picked out. A restaurant he would have LOVED going to. I am trying to remember that there are still reasons to celebrate, but...how? How am I supposed to start Thanksgiving with the same feeling and gumption of years prior. How am I supposed to carry on traditions when things are so different.  Who is going to be there when I have a question about cooking, my father was a great cook...  He was my best friend and another holiday without him just feels like a crime. Why do I get to keep going? How am I supposed to. I miss him so much. This blows. It all feels wrong without him here to celebrate, to baste the turkey...to fix the gravy when I screw it up....to hang ornaments and tinsel.  It just feels empty. I feel empty. 

• Members

Everyday is a nightmare. I’m dreading the holiday season without my Dad. I’ve got no tips on how to get through it to be honest. I’m sorry that you’ve lost your lovely Dad. 

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my father last May and every holiday (and everyday) is a reminder that he is not here. Dads are the best! Always so protective, loving, and caring. My dad, too, like yours, was the best cook ever!!! Sometimes I crave for the Chinese food he used to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

• Members

Dad's are the best. I am sorry. Everyday is a reminder. I just made some "dad food" as I call it. I am looking forward to cooking thanksgiving, only because my dad taught me how to do it last year, so I wouldn't forget...because we knew he wouldn't be here forever.  Try to make it. If it is not just right, try again. You probably know how, dads teach us things even when we thought we weren't paying attention. 

• Members

My dad was not the most loving or caring person and for nearly 20 years he did not spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with me ... but even without those warm and happy memories, I still miss him like crazy every day and I wish he was still here. Even though he died at 82, which is a good long life, I still wish he'd lived until 90 or longer.

• Members

Deer still alive, 

How did your Thanksgiving go?  Your dad would be so proud of you for trying and for honouring him in this way. 

Dear Laura,

I hear where you’re coming from. My dad what is a man of few words and even though he live to 84  I still wanted him to live to 90 as well. I hope you’re doing OK on this Thanksgiving. 

Thinking of the both of you and everyone on this thread.

Archived