Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my nephew

Mls

• Members

My nephew(my brothers son) drowned on July 6 of this year. He was on life support for 3 days with no brain activity and organs shutting down. His parents had to make the most awful decision to let him go on July 9. He was 22 months old. As you can assume, their guilt is still so overwhelming. His big brother (6) found him in the pool. This is honestly the first time I've told my story to anyone outside of my husband who was with me when I received the phone call from my mom. This is difficult. I moved away 5.5 years ago from my family in TN to be with my Husbands family in MN. It was a difficult decision to leave my mom and brother (my only family) but I needed to provide a better life for my family so we left. You can imagine my guilt arising after the death of my nephew. I had a son in December and he is my nephews identical twin in most ways. I was already suffering from post partum depression when I got the news so I'm literally lost in this grieving process. I've never been through such a tragedy like this, this is something all in its own. 2020 has not been kind. I've lost just about everything due to my process of grieving (work, friends, family) and my marriage is on the rocks because of it. It's so easy for people to say get help, talk to a therapist, etc. but I'm also a full time mother of 2 one of which is exclusively breastfed and the other is 8 doing homeschooling full time. It's tough but thank you for listening! 

• Members

Dear MIs,

Our deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm so sorry for the devastating loss your family faced. It is unimaginable to lose a young child. It's very hard.

Be kind and gentle to yourself. You're doing the best you can for yourself and your family under these extremely difficult time.

Thinking of you and your family. Sending our thoughts and prayers.

Archived