Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sister/daughter

Mamdy

• Members

From the time my sister was 2 days old I was her main caregiver, I raised her. I was 14 almost 15 at the time. Our mothers was an alcoholic and a narcissist, who happened to get postpartum after Amber, my sister, was born. Making my already troubled teenage years harder. I absolutely tried my best. I swear i did, but i was a kid still too. I raised her as my sister, think gilmore girls. We were a pair. I worked, went to school, & took care of her. Even as I had my own children, she was always my first. Amber & my oldest were extremely close, like brother & sister instead of aunt & uncle. 

Amber was always one for a good time. She was young & free. I never squashed her freedom, in retrospect I should've. Instead I tried to teach her limits, everything in moderation, lines you shouldn't cross, rabbit holes she should avoid. But on September 18th this year, almost 6 weeks ago, she accidentally od'd. Because my sister, who was 27, was a free spirit & had such a kind trusting heart she took something, not sure what yet bc pathology isn't back, laced with enough fentanyl to kill an adult bull elephant. I know my sister. She wouldn't mess with fentanyl. There is an open case bc the police don't think it was random; a lot of overdoses have happened where she lived in Missouri. And I'm angry. So very angry. I told her that town would kill her, its where we both grew up. When i left that cesspool i took her with me but she grew up & went back to try to form a bond with out mother because she had gotten herself "sober." 

I miss my sister! Im angry at my sister! I'm disappointed in my sister! But mainly I don't know how to live without her. Ive always been, what I thought, was a strong person & after how I grew up I never gave anyone enough power to break me, but this girl has shattered me. 

I know I have to go on and live my life, for me, for my kids, & for my husband but I can't make my way out of this fog. I just keep reliving what I should've said at one point in time or another, instead of what I did say. Did she know the real love I had for her? Did she know what her "fun time" would do to her brothers & me? My boys seem to be doing okay. The oldest is off at college 16 hours away & thats hard. The youngest is how I have always been, until now. He's accepted it, knows he can't change it & thinks of her fondly. 

I however can't do hardly anything without a breakdown. Hearing music, i taught her to appreciate? I'm in the corner huddling. Disney movie? Total breakdown. Taking a shower? I swear I see things, words written in the tiles I can't quite make out. Cooking? Not enough energy in my body & if its one of her recipes absolutely not. I can't let go of her. I even had to turn to pharmaceuticals to sleep & if u knew me you'd be shocked by that statement. I just want normalcy back and I don't know how to get there. Not for my kids, my husband, or myself. I put on a good front for my boys because I don't want them to see me like this. I want them to have the strength I've tried to instill in them. But with every tear, every sad thought, every bit of anger, I feel like I'm failing them.

Thank you for letting me rant.

Mandy

• Members
Mason’s Mom

I am sorry for your loss. The words aren't much comfort, but I understand your pain.  You raised your sister as a daughter. You can't blame yourself for her actions. The feelings you describe are so familiar. If you get a chance try to find a counselor or someone to talk about your pain. I had a few friends at work that helped and I saw a counselor for a few months. Telling someone hoe you feel and not holding it all bottled up can really help. 

Carol

Archived