Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Heartbroken over my little brothers death

Patty Hible

• Members

My 54 year old little brother passed away suddenly from a massive heart attack. 
I have never in my life felt this sad, numb, and like a part of me went with him. I was in another state last week for his funeral but instead rushed to hospital with very high heart rate. I’m thankful I was able to watch it online but my heart is so sad I just want him back. Have any of you gone to grief counseling and found it helpful? I have a very strong faith but my heart is so broken. As is my parents, his children and siblings. 

• Members

I had an extremely strong bond with my sister who died something like 12 years ago.  I had 4 counselling sessions over about 2 years just when I couldn't manage to get through the day.  I found them very helpful (they were 1 at a time when I was sort of breaking down).  Now, there's been 2 times in the past several years that my grief has come up at different times.  One with a coach and once with a counsellor.  Both times I had moved on from the "don't know how to continue with such sadness" place but still the sadness and loss was affecting me in ways that I didn't even realize until I was reflecting on the difficulty I was then getting help with - which was not about my grief.  All roads seem to lead back to this loss for me.

The reason I tell you this is because I truly believe that if you feel to get counselling, you should.  And that this bereavement will morph and mingle with so many pieces of your life and the best way that I have found to manage it is to allow.  Allow the pain, allow the sadness, allow even the numbness.  And when you find peace or happiness on a day or afternoon or tiny moment, allow that too.  And if you want to have a conversation about this dear relationship that you know will not be a burden on anyone else, then yes, see if you can find a counsellor or a friend that will be there just for you to mourn.  That is sometimes a difficult thing in families because everyone has their own relationship that they are mourning.  So finding a friend or counsellor that will just be there for you, to let you mourn (express your grief) can be so healing and holding.  One time someone said, "Tell me about Traci" and I released so much hurt because that person was only there for me and MY relationship.

I hope I have made some sense for you, although this time in front of you will be much none-sense.

Wishing you moments of peace.

<3

Archived