Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Feeling calm after death of my mom

Ericamarie94

• Members

5 days ago my beautiful mom passed away from metastatic lung and breast cancer. She was diagnosed exactly 1 year ago today. She was truly my best friend, we did everything together and talked 20 times a day. I took her too every doctors appointment, every surgery, every chemo, all of it. When she died, I was with her. It happened in the middle of the night, at the hospital. I knew it was going too happen, her lungs were completely covered with cancer and inflammation limiting her oxygen making it difficult for her too breathe. She was 58 years old. My whole life I’ve always been extremely emotional, crying at everything, extremely sympathetic and empathic. When the doctor announced time of death I was alone and panicked, shook and hyperventilated for about 2 minutes. Since then i’ve cried here and there at the wake and funeral but have still been able to laugh, smile and live my life as usual. I don’t understand what’s happening. I feel normal right now even though my mom was my world. My favorite person. I guess I am just seeking advice from people who’ve experienced this same reaction and what too expect because I truly do not recognize myself. Thank you so much in advance 

• Members

Dear Ericamarie94,

(((hugs))) I'm so sorry for your devastating loss. My deepest sympathies and condolences. We all react differently during this sad and difficult time. It truly is like a rollercoaster and it is not unusual to go from one extreme to the next. Please know there is no right way or wrong way to grieve. We all have to do what feels right in the moment and it is okay to smile but also to feel very raw and cry. Always know what you are feeling and thinking is natural and normal. But if you ever want to reach out and talk, please know we are here. Also there are lots of support in the community or through church. 

Archived