Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Had new baby and lost mom in same week

Cashew

• Members

I’m a 37 mother to a three year old girl, and just had my second, a boy, last Wednesday. A few days after I learned that my mom was in hospital in critical condition after a two year battle with vascular dementia. She passed away on Tuesday. We live far apart and due to Covid and the new baby I was not able to see her before she passed or to attend her funeral (I did watch her service and burial on Zoom, which was surreal).

For the last two years she was in a care home and unable to understand or speak, and her health really deteriorated since the start of Covid restrictions. Now that she is gone I’m finding all the old memories are coming back of when she was healthy and was able to be a real mother to me. I really miss her.

I’m really struggling to be a mom to my toddler and newborn grieve at the same time. My husband and I have no family in our city, so it’s just us taking care of them, although thankfully our oldest is in daycare.

My mom was waiting her whole life for grandchildren and now will never get to enjoy them. It makes me sad when I see women my age pushing a stroller with their moms beside them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

Archived