Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I recently lost both my parents

Scott Little

• Members

I'm so sorry, one loss is hard enough, but two is extremely difficult. I lost my mother 8 mths ago and my dad is very unwell so I am on constant edge worrying. I can't imagine what you are feeling...i hope you have good support and are able to talk about your pain.  The numbness is normal, I still have moments when it feels unreal.  Take one day or one hour at a time...take care of yourself feel free to reach out here...it helps to talk and write down how we feel.  Hugs to you.

• Members

So sorry for your loss Scott. Life does not feel real in fact it wont feel real for a long time. And much as I myself would like a timeline, there isnt one. You can only get through each day focusing on what needs to be done to get through that day. 
It will take a lot of courage just to exist, never mind to function. The intensity of grief will subside with time but know that it is early days. Dont be hard on yourself. Some days, you will just want to curl up in a ball and other days there will be a lot of tears. Its unpredictable and will come in waves. Just hang in there. You will know what to do yourself, whether you want distractions, to go out or to talk to people. Its all so individual. 
Know that you are not alone in this journey and check back in, it helps to be connected.  

• Members

I’m in a similar place, mom died by Suicide July 23rd and Dad from Pancreatic cancer August 29th. It comes in waves for me, sometimes I try but don’t feel anything while other times I can’t breath for the depth of my loss. 
I’m sorry you’re going through this, I hope you have support. I’m not sure how this site works but feel free to reach out to me. 

• Members

I lost both my parents just six hours apart from one another, back in February. We were extremely close and this is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. I miss them so much I can’t even begin to put it into words. Here it is nine months later and I still have times where it doesn’t feel real to me. It is still very overwhelming. It seems as though the holidays and special days once celebrated are some of the tougher times. I am so sorry for everyone’s loss, 

• Members

I am so saddened to hear of people on this forum who have lost both of their parents so close together. I am finding it so hard dealing with the loss of my father on the 31st. It has brought up all the hurt and pain again of losing Mum 4 years ago. Not that that pain ever goes away we just learn to live with our grief it becomes part of us.

My siblings and I now have the daunting task of going through all our parents belongings. I just can’t comprehend it. 

• Members
I lost both my parents just six hours apart from one another, back in February. We were extremely close and this is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. I miss them so much I can’t even begin to put it into words. Here it is nine months later and I still have times where it doesn’t feel real to me. It is still very overwhelming. It seems as though the holidays and special days once celebrated are some of the tougher times. I am so sorry for everyone’s loss, 

All of this. It’s so surreal some days, I keep finding myself going to write the date on things and thinking “August 29th”... That whole day was just a dark dream
Here it is November, I never touched my garden again. I grew the tomatoes for him, when they finally were ripe enough to eat...well he was on a g-tube and mostly liquid diet...
But still, he sliced it up and put it out on the table while I visited, saying he’d have some later on (eating anything gave him a lot of pain, and he wanted to visit and not suffer)

Thanks for sharing, it’s strangely nice having other grievers to be lonely with.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

• Members
I am so saddened to hear of people on this forum who have lost both of their parents so close together. I am finding it so hard dealing with the loss of my father on the 31st. It has brought up all the hurt and pain again of losing Mum 4 years ago. Not that that pain ever goes away we just learn to live with our grief it becomes part of us.
My siblings and I now have the daunting task of going through all our parents belongings. I just can’t comprehend it. 

It’s not an easy task, to be sure. I’m lucky (?) maybe in this, as my mother’s siblings and my cousins came and Cleaned out her apartment within a weekend...
I’m grateful I didn’t have to sort through it all, but there’s times when I wonder what I missed.

With my Dad my stepmoms been working hard to clear up (he was a tinkerer and collector of tidbits and trinkets). I have his shirts, some furniture, books and mementos...with mom it was all over and sorted, the next week Dad was in hospice so...

Take what feels good now is I guess my only advice, you can sort through later and give away/gift the stuff thats not so precious.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

Archived