Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my sweet kitty best friend

Ashly

• Members

I recently lost my sweet kitty Skittles a little over a week ago.  She died in my arms after 17 years.  

I don't know how many people are best friends with their pets, but I know Skittles was mine.  She was literally my best friend.  We actually had full on conversations.   It was almost as if I understood what she was saying with her little meows.   

She had an amazing personality and the most beautiful connection.

It had happened so fast.  Within a week she started have several problems.  Peeing on the floor, in her bed.   She would go near the box but not in it.   And she followed me.   She followed me everywhere.   I noticed so many changes that weren't normal and I knew something was wrong.   She was acting like her hips were bothering her suddenly.   

All of this within a week.   Then last Thursday, the 13th, she just faltered.   She quit eating and had to be with me. She wouldn't let me put her down.   By the next morning she was like a ragdoll.   I found her laying in our hall when I woke up.    

I pick her up and didn't let her go.  I wrapped her in a blanket and held her in my chest all day.  If I left the room I took her with me.   The few times I did put her down she just watched me like she didn't know was happening.   Her body was so limp and she just kept crying for me and reaching for me.   

If I was holding her I was laying with her.   On Friday of last week about 11 pm she died with me holding her.  She twitched a little bit and within a moment she was gone.    

I swear to God I closed my eyes for a second and she was gone.    My connection with her was so strong,. I think I actually felt her slipping away.   I even recall when I was holding her earlier in the day telling my boyfriend that I think it was happening.    

She was apart of my life for 17 years.   I miss her so much.    I just hope she knows how much I love and miss her.   My heart hurts bad.    I cried for 3 days straight,. And I got incredibly sicko the night she died.

It's been almost 2 weeks now.   I'm doing ok I think.   It comes in waves I'll just suddenly burst into tears.    It seems to happen most when I first get home from work and afterni take a shower she's always greeting me and getting all excited.   

I miss her so much

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss.  This has been a truly difficult year, not only for the pandemic but also grief.  17 years is a long time, I'm so glad you had her that long, but no matter how long, it never feels long enough and we're never ready when it comes.  I hope you watch the video I'm posting at the end of this and that it gives you some measure of comfort and peace to think on.  Also, I'm sharing my threads on memories of my dog and memories of my cat as a suggestion that you might want to consider doing something like that with your cat as a way of memorializing her, when you're ready.  

I had two cats and a dog, June 3, 2016 I lost Miss Mocha.  6/7/19 I got the news Arlie (dog) had inoperable cancer and his liver was shut down.  I took care of him until at last I had him put to sleep so he wouldn't continue to suffer, that was 8/16/19.  He was my "soulmate in a dog," my best friend.  The smartest, most communicative, best sense of humor, goofiest, loving, loyal dog with a huge protective instinct (he was huge) over me.  He was a gentle giant and so good with the cats. Our cancer journey and memories here:

Then on Christmas Kitty turned down her Easy Cheese and didn't seem well, she resumed the next day, then up/down with her eating.  I noticed her peeing more, began to suspect kidneys shutting down.  January 6 I had her put to sleep at the age of 25. Her story and loss here:

It is the hardest thing in the world to adjust to them all being gone.  We were truly a family.

• Members
Collettesweetbear
I recently lost my sweet kitty Skittles a little over a week ago.  She died in my arms after 17 years.  
I don't know how many people are best friends with their pets, but I know Skittles was mine.  She was literally my best friend.  We actually had full on conversations.   It was almost as if I understood what she was saying with her little meows.   
She had an amazing personality and the most beautiful connection.
It had happened so fast.  Within a week she started have several problems.  Peeing on the floor, in her bed.   She would go near the box but not in it.   And she followed me.   She followed me everywhere.   I noticed so many changes that weren't normal and I knew something was wrong.   She was acting like her hips were bothering her suddenly.   
All of this within a week.   Then last Thursday, the 13th, she just faltered.   She quit eating and had to be with me. She wouldn't let me put her down.   By the next morning she was like a ragdoll.   I found her laying in our hall when I woke up.    
I pick her up and didn't let her go.  I wrapped her in a blanket and held her in my chest all day.  If I left the room I took her with me.   The few times I did put her down she just watched me like she didn't know was happening.   Her body was so limp and she just kept crying for me and reaching for me.   
If I was holding her I was laying with her.   On Friday of last week about 11 pm she died with me holding her.  She twitched a little bit and within a moment she was gone.    

I swear to God I closed my eyes for a second and she was gone.    My connection with her was so strong,. I think I actually felt her slipping away.   I even recall when I was holding her earlier in the day telling my boyfriend that I think it was happening.    

She was apart of my life for 17 years.   I miss her so much.    I just hope she knows how much I love and miss her.   My heart hurts bad.    I cried for 3 days straight,. And I got incredibly sicko the night she died.

It's been almost 2 weeks now.   I'm doing ok I think.   It comes in waves I'll just suddenly burst into tears.    It seems to happen most when I first get home from work and afterni take a shower she's always greeting me and getting all excited.   

I miss her so much

Hi Ashly,

I’m so sorry for your loss. I read your story just now about your best friend sweet Skittles. My story is named My baby girl scooter, I saw it posted right next to yours. Scooter died January 28, 2020, right as the Pandemic began fully. She was also 17 years old. It was just me and her for all of those precious years. I talked to her everyday just like you and Skittles. I still do in my internal dialogue. I also suffer from life long depression which is why I got a kitty. My therapist kept encouraging me to get a kitten for years to help sooth my depression and then I finally did it and love at first sight. KayC has been a great comfort and gave me a lot of support and her videos she linked for you. They really helped me Ashly, I hope they give you some comfort too. KayC has gone through all this pain with us. She has lost her pets Kitty and her cherished Arlie. She really understands the depths of pain losing a cat and dog. It’s been more painful then when I lost my grandparents. I was so close to my grandpa we did everything together and when he past it was so sad and hurtful but, when my baby scooter cat died I truly have a real broken heart. It’s amazing how close and so much a part of them we are. And, Ashly Skittles knows how much you love and miss her. Sounds like you and Skittles had that special communication attachment. I did too. I knew exactly what mine was saying to me and I know she understood me. She followed me every room I went into as well. I miss my baby so much it hurts. I learned from KayC that the pain is as much as the love is. My baby crossed the rainbow bridge and is happy and one day I will be with her again. You will too with Skittles. I’ll have you in my thoughts and prayers Ashly.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

Archived