Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Only Child Grieving Beloved Father - Seeks Connection

GeorgiaS-Z

• Members

Hi to those reading, 

I lost my beloved Father 11 weeks ago, quite suddenly and am currently adjusting to this 'new normal' without him. I am an only child, my parents were married for 47 years and it has always been just us - we have always been incredibly close and they are both my best friends, not just my parents. While my Father struggled for years with ongoing health issues, we never thought we would lose him so soon (he turned 69 the month prior to his passing) and in such a sudden manner, as he has always been quite active - a real handyman, spending hours on projects in his shed and renovating my parents home. 

My Father became quite ill and 2 days after being admitted to hospital in relation to what we were initially told was to do with liver issues, we were told he had a few months at best, due to terminal cancer that had never been detected. Fast forward another 24 hours and my Mother and I were by his bedside saying goodbye to the most important man in both of our lives. Due to COVID-19 I was not permitted to visit him in those first few days, however was granted access when he became palliative, gaining 6 hours of time with him when he was still cognicant. 

I am now my Mothers sole support and caregiver as she struggles with her own mental and physical health issues, my Father and I always cared for her together. I am also married and have my own life/responsibilities etc so am adjusting to being my Mother's #1 while still trying to care for my own family, myself etc. As we were such a small, relatively isolated family, we don't have many supports outside of each other. 

I am interested in perhaps meeting another only child who has lost a parent, anyone who is grieving their Father or can relate to my story at all. Ultimately I would like to share emails with someone or chat on this website's chat room as a means of making a connection.

If anyone is interested or is also seeking someone to talk please let me know. 

Thank you for reading and to anyone else currently adjusting and living with grief, I hope you are doing okay. 

- G

Archived