Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I found my emotional support cat deceased when I came home.

Heartbrokenmomma20

• Members
Heartbrokenmomma20

Hello, my husband does his best to be there for me but he doesn’t understand. I found my cat, Willard, dead in our living room a couple days ago. It appears that one of our dogs killed him. I’m struggling with so much grief over it as this cat was my rescue baby and became my support animal over the years. He was a senior cat I rescued and I had him for 10+ years, best guess the vet could give me was he was 22-25 years old.  I suffer from severe depression and anxiety and he just knew when I needed comfort. He was always there waiting at the door on days I’d come home from a bad day or would snuggle in bed with me while I was having a depressive episode. I found him when I came home and was distraught. My husband has helped in the immediate aftermath, dug him a grave on my in laws farm and packed up his stuff for me and kept the dogs away from me, but he doesn’t know how to comfort the anguish and guilt I feel. I feel like if I never left that day he would be alive and it’s my fault because I wasn’t home that day. Willard helped me through my depression when it was bad and now he is gone and I don’t know how to get out of the episode I feel happening. I’m so guilty, sad and upset and I don’t know how to feel better or move on. I can’t sleep as every time I close my eyes I see his body how I found him and when I lay in bed I think of how he won’t be there to sleep beside me. I don’t know what to do without him and it kills me inside thinking he died scared and alone and not knowing how loved he was. 

• Members
I love my Basset Hound

I’m so sorry for your lost. May he Rest In Peace and god give u strength during this process of grief. He knows how much u loved him and gave the best of life. Your such a great person to rescue him. 

• Members

Oh no! I am so so sorry to read this. :( I hate to say this but it will take some time to process such a loss. Try to be patient with your grief. And as far as guilt - you obviously had no idea your dogs would do something like this.   

• Moderators

I am so sorry!  And for the traumatic way it happened.  I lost my 25 year old Kitty this year, I didn't meet her until she was ten, had full custody of her when she was 12.  It's very hard.  (((hugs)))

Men often grieve differently than we do, this article sheds a little light on it...not that they don't feel anything but often have a different way dealing with it.
https://www.griefhealingdiscussiongroups.com/topic/943-different-ways-of-grieving/?tab=comments#comment-3749
http://www.griefhealing.com/comfort-grieving-animal-lovers.htm

Archived