Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my siblings and my pet

April Smith

• Members
April Smith

On 7/4/17  I lost my sister and best friend to breast cancer that metastasized.  Then on 12/23/18 I lost my brother to a heart attack.  My parents had already died, so they were all the immediate family I had.  My dog was helping me hold it together.  And then on 11/18/19, I lost my dog.  I have never felt so alone in all my life.  My best friend lives 3500 miles away.  All I want to do is hole myself up on the couch and watch TV.  I don't feel like going anywhere because I have no one to go anywhere with.  But on the other hand, I don't feel like being around people.  I eat my feelings and am gaining weight and spending too much money to make up for the loss.  I feel like I am in a downward spiral and I just don't know how to climb back out.

• Members

Hello this is Margo and I understand how you feel. I lost three siblings in about as many years. I am out here looking for something - I don't even know what - to help me feel better. They call it "complicated grief" when intense grief lasts for more than six months so I guess that is what we have. The last of the three, my sister Maryellen, died early June of this year and because New York City (where she lived) was in the middle of their worst outbreak we could not travel there and anyway there was no service. We were very close, and my other sister Kathy was just about the best friend I've ever had in my life. Anyway I just came out looking for a forum - I suppose to not feel so alone with this. I have no words to cheer you up. I just want you to know that you are not alone. Others are living through similar situations. I will be thinking of you "out there somewhere" and wishing you the best.

• Members

Hi Margo and April,
I'm a bit late to this thread. I am in the same situation since my mother died 4 years ago.
I don't think I have complicated grief. I think I'm suffering loneliness because everyone around me is dying.
I'm at the tail end of the baby boomers. My parents generation has almost all gone and now the baby boomers are going one by one.
Every year we lost a couple more.
I met a woman 15 months ago. I was hoping to have lunch with her again until covid struck. I'll never have lunch with her again, she died last week.
It's not even worth meeting new people cos they just die not long after. That is how it feels.
I keep thinking I have to find things to do but like you April, there is no one to do things with. It's not much fun going out to lunch alone.
I keep thinking there is no solution. I just have to learn to live inside my own head.
I don't ahve any answers but I thought I would just pop in and let you know, we are not lone in being alone.

Archived