Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my sweet cat yesterday

Sarajune161399

• Members
Sarajune161399

I feel so guilty as I put her in the hospital for her last days. I was told the only option was biopsy followed by a surgery. 3 weeks prior, I was told had to admit her through an emergency Dept first, in order to get the ultrasound done. There was no appointment available due to covid 9!!!!!!!  I went through 2 emergency just to get an ultrasound. The first one had to radiology staff that day, so they charged me $500 and told me to come back when radiology is available. I had no time to waste , so I took her through another hospital to get the ultrasound done. Then I was told lets try a medication for one month. She stopped eating and drinking after a week taking the meds. Then I took her else where to see why she stopped eating and
I was told I had to do the surgery. They opened her up and told me they cant remove the mass but took a biopsy. She passed and i still don't have the biopsy results but I have a bill for $8000. I am thinking they had the ultrasound, why they opened her up if they could have not removed the mass. I am so confused and feeling horribly guilty as why I listened to them and trusted them. She passed a day after the co called surgery. I am in so much pain for what I put her through, she looked into my eyes and asked me a question as she was taken for the surgery, ... ahhh ... I cant breath since yesterday. My heart is bleeding..

• Moderators

Oh Sarajune, I am so sorry!  It seems the vets have some answering to do to you.  This is a pet parent's worst nightmare!  I had someone chastise me (ended a 45 year friendship) for putting my dog on hospice when he had inoperable cancer and it was spread throughout his body before discovered...I had recently had his physical and the vet hadn't caught it then.  I made him as comfortable as possible at home for the time he had left, putting him on maximum dose CBD oil (he was large) and supplements for his liver and pain as his liver shut down.  But that was our story, this is yours.  I feel your pain.  Yes she knows you love her and the only good thing I can see in this is she did not have to be stoic or watch out for your feelings as our pets do, she could focus on letting go and finding her peace.  I want to post this video with the hopes that the thought of this brings you some comfort and peace.

• Members
Sarajune161399

Thank you KayC for replying to my message and share and sending me the very touching video. I am so sorry for your loss. My general vet just like yours, missed a tumor earlier, He felt something and told me is her mammary gland being thick because she used to nurse her kitten in the past!!!!  I repeatedly asked the vet as how I can make her comfortable and offer her palliative care at home.There was no response other than I needed to put her down.  I was only asking for pain meds and electrolytes. ;(((( ahhh... It has been very difficult. Apparently becoming a vet is not that difficult and the money is good too, no responsibility or license to loose!

• Moderators

I took Arlie to a different vet for euthanasia, I wasn't happy with the care at the previous place, they essentially cost him his life as they did perfunctory cursory exams and missed everything.  They offered no pain meds, nothing, I was on my own.  The CBD oil was the best thing I ever did, also SAME and milk thistle for his liver, I know, grasping at straws and his liver shut down, but I was pitting hope against hope.  I took the best care of him I could, cooking things for him he'd love.  They'd told me to watch out for when he started losing weight and vomiting, he actually gained weight in spite of the cancer because I was bribing him with delectable foods, anything I could get down/keep down him.  But he clearly was not feeling well and lost his appetite.  He only vomited once and then just a bit.  I walked him clear up to the last day, he only refused one day, a couple of days I had to wait until he felt up to it.

I do not like the big business veterinary care as become, what happened to the James Herriot vets of the world?!  (He was a country vet who wrote stories of his vet experiences, EXCELLENT reads!)

The euthanasia did not go well, they under-anesthetized him so that the second and fatal shot was excruciating.  I will never forget the look on his face, the reaction!  It will haunt me the rest of my life!  Not the peaceful ending I had hoped for.  :(

• Members
Sarajune161399

Oh I am so sorry. You have been through so much.  So great to hear that you cared so much for him and kept him as healthy as you could till the end. I am just hoping that what seems to be perceived on our end is not the "actual truth" and god is taking care of these angels so they are not suffering. in spite of every thing, I am sure your dog wants you to be happy and don't want you to be sad. I am trying to fnd peace as difficult as it is just so she wouldn't worry about me. Thanks for the read suggestion, Take care

• Moderators

They are no longer in their bodies so no longer suffering.  I've read in the bible that we get new bodies, not sure if right away or later but I know their spirit lives on, they are energy and it doesn't die, just changes form.  I still talk to my Arlie.  If I start hearing answers they may haul me away though!  I tell him all the time what I love about him, how much I miss him, how much I appreciate him sharing his life with me, he was thee best dog in the world.

• Members
Sarajune161399

Oh I am so sorry. You have been through so much.  So great to hear that you cared so much for him and kept him as healthy as you could till the end. I am just hoping that what seems to be perceived on our end is not the "actual truth" and god is taking care of these angels so they are not suffering. in spite of every thing, I am sure your dog wants you to be happy and don't want you to be sad. I am trying to fnd peace as difficult as it is just so she wouldn't worry about me. Thanks for the read suggestion, Take care

• Members
Sarajune161399

i Hope we meet again.  it is sad to be left behind and be not to be able be with them   ;(((

• Members

Hi @Sarajune161399 I just wanted to say how terribly sorry I am to read your story and the loss of your cat.

I lost mine a couple years ago and it was so so painful. I was heartbroken. I still miss him and he had a very unhappy ending as well. I have found peace with it (which takes time and patience) and try to focus on all the good times.

I hope you are okay, grief is not an easy process at all. 

• Members
Sarajune161399

Dear AJWCat, Thank you so much for your message, and I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes when I come home, I forget she is gone and I want to feed her. ;( 

Archived