Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

losing my mother / best friend

Isaiah73x

• Members
Isaiah73x

Hello all I'm new here I've never done anything like this before and I'm quite surprised there was a website for this which I am grateful for . My name is Isaiah I'm 20 years old  and I lost my mother 2/1/2020 she was 44, still feels like yesterday my heart hurts everyday I wake up we were so close we talked / texted each other if not everyday every other day . Since she lived out of state the past 2 years in Oregon I'd fly up once a month to see her and spend a week up there filled with nothing but laughter and love,  its so hard to think I have to live THE REST of my life without her. I still have trouble realiazing she's not here anymore :( there's times I want to call or text her and I have to remind myself that's not possible anymore. whenever I see a picture or see something that reminds me of her I'm still in disbelief like damn my mom is really gone. At the most random times I think of the the day I got the phone call that changed my life. I feel alone like no one gets me and the pain I have I'm so heartbroken, with mothers day coming up Im starting to feel more sad/depressed . To anyone reading this is there any advice that you could give me to make this all a little easier or what has helped you ? even sharing your story if you'd like <3  all is apperciated thank you all! :) <3 

• Members

Dear Isaiah,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is devastating to lose a parent and for myself the first year of grief was the rawest. Sadly, its very common to feel like no one understands our hurt and sorrow. This forum helped me a lot and I found the following websites helpful. What's Your Grief, Grief in Common and The Grief Healing Blog.  I also sought out counselling and a grief support group.  Please know there is no right way or wrong way to grieve. Different things work for different people. I even tried painting and writing and trying to different activities to keep myself moving forward. 

Anniversaries and holidays are especially hard.  I like to take flowers to the grave site. Someone else suggested doing something to remember your parent like having their favorite meal, listening to their favorite song or donating to a charity they cared about. Even lighting a candle and saying a prayer can be comforting. Or write them a letter.

Please know you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings. We are with you

Take care of yourself and know that you are doing the best you can every day. 

• Members
Isaiah73x
12 hours ago, reader said:

Dear Isaiah,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is devastating to lose a parent and for myself the first year of grief was the rawest. Sadly, its very common to feel like no one understands our hurt and sorrow. This forum helped me a lot and I found the following websites helpful. What's Your Grief, Grief in Common and The Grief Healing Blog.  I also sought out counselling and a grief support group.  Please know there is no right way or wrong way to grieve. Different things work for different people. I even tried painting and writing and trying to different activities to keep myself moving forward. 

Anniversaries and holidays are especially hard.  I like to take flowers to the grave site. Someone else suggested doing something to remember your parent like having their favorite meal, listening to their favorite song or donating to a charity they cared about. Even lighting a candle and saying a prayer can be comforting. Or write them a letter.

Please know you are not alone in your thoughts and feelings. We are with you

Take care of yourself and know that you are doing the best you can every day. 

Thank you ! yes its starting to feel heavy since mothers day is around the corner but I will take your advice thanks again I deeply appreciate it take care <3

• Members
13 hours ago, reader said:

Thinking of you and your mom on this Mother's Day.  

Please take care and know we are with you.

Thank you reader it means the world much love xxx !!

• Members

Dear Isaiah,

You're more than welcome. How are you feeling? I know it's a tough day. 

Hope you were able to be with friends or family.  Be kind and gentle with yourself. With hugs, Reader.

• Members

Hello reader , 

it was okay to say the least shed some tears and ended the day on positive memories and lighting candles for my mother 

thank you for the genuine concern it means so much xx

• Members

Isaiah,

I joined today because I lost my 84 year old mother in January. I was primary caregiver and left Oregon for my old home in Louisiana to help her on her final journey after she was suddenly diagnosed with cancer in October....on her birthday. Then 4 months later she was gone.

I'm having a helluva time coping. We talked everyday as you and yours did and were very close. I cry daily. I'm despondent. I lost my best friend. Reading your post made me feel less alone. It is the first post I read. To cope, I took all the photos and photo albums and reworked them into two archival binders. Painful at times, I think it helped some. So did your post.

• Members

Dear Isaiah,

How are you doing? 

Dear Tim,

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I was also a caregiver to my father and I wanted to share this website with you called Aging Care. It provided me with some additional support.

Thinking of you both.

• Members

I lost my mother and best friend 4 weeks ago. I have no other family that are close. My father died when I was young. I am struggling and desperate for suggestions that will help me through this.

• Members

Thank you so much for your response. Our stories are similar. I am going to try to help people that are caring for family members at home by giving them so time off. I truly appreciate your ideas. Take care

• Members
Deborahmomof2

Hi my name is Deborah, I lost my mother this past Mother’s Day and have been looking to connect with other people who have lost a parent recently. I’m starting a zoom meeting for the first time and wondered if you would like to join. If so here is the link. https://us04web.zoom.us/j/71034566210?pwd=WFQ0N1FpODVNUWpHcHhsUzdpM1R4dz09  The time for this meeting will be today at 1:00pm. Hope to see you there. 

Archived