Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost a good friend. RIP Chance

s kolwicz

• Members

chancebah1.jpg.1ee269a22ae22324b8acb4e8b47f40b2.jpg

We adopted Chance and his brother when they were three weeks old. For the first five years all was good until Chance developed diabetes. With us being ignorant of the symptoms, Chance developed ketoacidosis and we thought we were going to lose him but thanks to a four day hospital stay he was able to come home. There were consequences however which turned out to be cataracts. Over the next several years his vision deteriorated until he was almost completely blind. For six years Chance needed an insulin injection twice each day at 5 AM and 5 PM. For six + years our lives revolved around Chance’s insulin schedule. I’m not complaining, as far as I was concerned I was duty-bound to do it. I adopted him and I was responsible for taking care of him. Even with the diabetes and being blind Chance was able to navigate the yard and the house surprisingly well.

In January of this year Chance started limping on his left front leg. The vet diagnosed it as bone cancer. He had it for a while but there were no symptoms until the limp. The cancer is aggressive and speeds rapidly to other parts of the body. The vet prescribed pain meds which allowed him to function but over time he began to decline and when he lost interest in eating, his breathing became labored, and his legs became weak, we decided to let him go. The vet came to the house and Chance’s favorite vet tech also made the trip to say goodbye. We laid a blanket on the grass where he liked to lay in the sun and the vet did what had to be done. After all we went through together there was a very strong bond between Chance and my wife and myself. We loved him dearly and now we miss him dearly.

• Moderators

I am so sorry you lost your beloved Chance. Your Chance has a very sweet face.

I despise cancer, it took my Arlie's life, he was my best friend, my companion.  I've posted a picture of him here...he lived 2 months 10 days past diagnosis.  The vet didn't give pain meds but I had him on hemp oil and supplements to help his liver as it was shutting down as well as mood.  I had him put to sleep, I didn't want him to suffer any more.  It's been 8 1/2 months and it still hurts greatly, I will always love and miss him.

Your Chance went through a lot but it sounds like he was content with you in spite of his Diabetes.  He was fortunate to have you as his parents.  How is his brother doing?  I am posting a link about helping your dog through grief. https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2018/06/pet-loss-supporting-your-grieving-pet.html

Losing my Arlie felt like it did when I lost my husband, less shock because I had a bit of time to process it but nothing can prepare you for the finality.

I hope this video brings you thoughts of comfort and peace.

Arlie running free XS.jpg

• Members

KayC,

Thanks for the kind words. Condolences to you for the loss of your husband and your Arlie.

That photo of Chance was taken at the vet's office a8 months ago. They posted it on the website and I saved it. It was the only photo I have that was small enough to upload. He wasn't happy because he had to stay that day for a diabetes curve.

We had to let Chance go three months after his diagnosis. I believe he had cancer longer than that but there were no symptoms until he developed a large lump on his shoulder. He managed well with the pains meds for a while bu then it was time for him to go.

Buddy is doing okay but he misses his brother and our cat, Karma, misses him too. After Buddy leaves us we would like to get another dog but because of our ages we worry about what would become of it when it's our time to go.

Thanks again for the kind words and the video.

Best regards,

Steve

• Moderators

Do you have a grown child that could take him in if something happened to you?  That was one of the things I asked my son when he brought me a puppy (his lifespan is 16 years), I'm turning 68 this year.  I have a neighbor who said she could take care of him if I got COVID-19 because that was a huge concern of mine.  I asked my son to look on FB every day and see if I've posted and if not, to check on me (he lives 2 1/2 hours away but could call a neighbor).  If I'm going to be gone or something, I'll let him know, but that way he doesn't have to have a conversation or anything, just look to see I'm still alive.  That's a concern when you live alone!

You can open in photo in Paint which comes with Windows and resize it.

• Members

What an adorable face, I am so so sorry for your loss. :( You guys gave him a good life, took such good care of him, full of love. He is fully at peace now but I know the pain his absence has left all of you. Be patient. Takes time to grieve such a huge loss.   

• Members

AJWCat,

Thanks for your caring reply. Chance left us one week ago today and we still miss him very much. Buddy still looks for him and and Karma sleeps in places where Chance used to sleep. I have lost several pets over the years so I know the hurt will ease up. I also know that, for me, it will never be completely gone. Thinking about my dog, Beau, who I lost 21 years ago still brings tears to my eyes. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Steve

Archived