Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I Am Grateful.....

Kelly

• Administrators

Hi all,

I am starting this forum for a moment of gratitude which helps navigates the hard times. Please add to it.

I am Grateful for.....

1. My friends and family

2. A roof over my head

3. Food & water

4. The people who are on the front lines of the virus and considered essential

5. The sun today which is a THING here in Minnesota to see it all day.

You all? What are you grateful for today?

Kelly

• Like 2

• Members

I am grateful for

1. My son- whose phone calls and text messages have made me smile a lot in this past week

2. My husband- who is ever supportive of me

3. My home- a safe place to be at the end of the day

4. My job- I am an essential staff and feel so overwhelmed but am grateful to be able to provide for my family at this time

• Like 3

• Administrators

I was grateful today for the stores that were open to help us stock up for the lock down that is coming here we are guessing this week. Also the sun today was wonderful and just the ability to spend more time with my family.

• Like 1

• Members

I am grateful that my dear friends across the street have figured out a safe way for me to have a few hours each day with their sweet dog who I usually dog sit once or twice a week.  Being alone in isolation is freaking hard now and is really setting me back emotionally, so having a little ray of sunshine who only wants to walk, play, and love me is a bright spot in this horrible situation.

I am grateful for my neighborhood "gang" of friends.  We keep in touch with each other each day.  We also list what we have to share so that no one feels alone or deprived of necessities.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I love your friends foreverhis. I am hearing the adoption rate for dogs is going through the roof as people want a buddy to be home with during isolation. Pets are wonderful comforts.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Kelly.  Yes I do have pretty terrific friends and family.  I think the fact that our little neighborhood group is checking in with each other and offering to share stuff reminds us that things like this can bring out the best in people.  Even when we hear bad news, we know we've got each other.  We've even worked out ways to safely deliver goodies to each other, though it seems absurd.

When it's time for me to have my dog time, we text that we're ready, then one of my friends comes out to the street (we're on a dead end) with the little princess on her harness and leash.  I stand about 10' away and call her over.  My friend drops the leash.  When our sweetie gets to me, all happy and excited, I pick up the leash.  Then we say goodbye and head out on a short walk, stopping to chat at a distance with a mutual friend (who the dog also loves).  After the walk, it's over to my house, leash and harness off, for play time, treats, snuggles, etc.  Then we text and go to the street so she can be called to come home.

Yesterday, a friend and I were exchanging some food items.  We texted and met 12' or so apart on the street.  I walked halfway forward and put down my bag of stuff (all touched only with sterilized hands) and walked back.  Then she walked forward, put down what she had for me (also only touched with clean hands), picked up what I put down for her, and walked back.  Then I walked forward again and picked up the goodies she had for me.  I stepped back a bit and we chatted for a few minutes before returning to our homes.  We kind of felt idiotic, but the whole group decided that the only way this can work is if we take it seriously, no matter how silly it might seem to others. 

None of us are young and a few, including me, have long-term health conditions.  As much as part of me says, "Yeah, but if you get this and it kills you, you might be with your love again now," the other part says, "You know he would be furious that you intentionally left our girls when they still need you!"  I'm not sure how our daughter and granddaughter would take yet another loss right now.  In the past 2 years, our 11 year old granddaughter has lost her adored and adoring grandpa, her other grandma, her cat, and had her two best friends move away.  Three weeks ago, the sleep away science camp she's been looking forward to for 3 years was cancelled because of COVID-19.  She's had enough loss and pain, too much for her age.

Our local shelters have asked anyone who is able and willing to please foster even if they can't or don't want to adopt later.  So much of the staff has been told not to come in and all the volunteers have been pared down.  Some of the dogs especially are not able to get their usual exercise and none of the animals are getting their usual socialization and high level of care.  We have three no-kill shelters with animals only being euthanized if they are too ill to be adopted or if they cannot be socialized after several months.  With puppy and kitten season upcoming, the shelters are afraid that they won't have room for all the animals brought in.

If this order stays in place for longer than the initial 3 weeks, I may consider fostering a cat or two.  Fortunately, my friends' dog loves cats because I simply cannot give up my dog love time.

Stay well and be kind to each other everyone.  Here's a link to a kind of silly You Tube video that a friend sent me (hope that's okay to post):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8oxndup1QM&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

• Administrators

Foreverhis,

Love everything that you wrote. Your girls will need you especially during this time. So much is going to change because of this event. Today I started another post on NextDoor.com that just said these are the positive changes that I am seeing from this moment in time. What are you all seeing? I think it helps to nudge people to think about the Positive. Love your silly little YouTube. Of course things like that are okay to post!!

Keep them coming!

Kelly

• Members

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for starting this thread and being so positive and supportive.

I'm so grateful for this site and all the support it shows everyone. 

1. Having enough food
  2. My family
  3. Dear friends
  4. A job still
  5. All the people on this site

• Like 1

• Administrators

Reader,

You are welcome. I sat and thought alot this weekend about the space I wanted to "live in" internally. We can only hold fear so long before we crap out physically. Positive is the way I am going to live knowing I can be sad about the situation. But if I don't take care of me I can't take care of others. To add to the positive list today...

1. The time for all the families to be walking out in the sun as family groups. I have never seen that before.

2. All the exercise all the kids are getting that used to be in front of video games. Their parents are kicking them out of the house to MOVE.

3. Time to actually cook a DINNER like with more than one thing on the plate.

Kelly

• Like 1

• Members
On 3/24/2020 at 2:35 AM, foreverhis said:

As much as part of me says, "Yeah, but if you get this and it kills you, you might be with your love again now," the other part says, "You know he would be furious that you intentionally left our girls when they still need you!"  I'm not sure how our daughter and granddaughter would take yet another loss right now.

I have found in these last few weeks with the virus going around and me having a medical emergency that I was told could have ended my life if not taken care of immediately, I have found that I am not ready to go now. Yes I would be with my love, but I think that maybe there is a reason I am still here and maybe something I am supposed to do. So I am going to try and be thankful for the time I have with my daughter and for the time I get to spend watching my grandkids grow up.

Good thoughts and prayers to all.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ModKatB said:

I have found in these last few weeks with the virus going around and me having a medical emergency that I was told could have ended my life if not taken care of immediately, I have found that I am not ready to go now. Yes I would be with my love, but I think that maybe there is a reason I am still here and maybe something I am supposed to do. So I am going to try and be thankful for the time I have with my daughter and for the time I get to spend watching my grandkids grow up.

Good thoughts and prayers to all.

LOVE THIS! Thank you for taking care of you. All we have is today when it boils right down to it. We get to choose how to live it (most of the time). HUGS.

• Like 1

• Administrators

What is everyone grateful for today? I am grateful for the SUN, the warmth of Spring, the love of my family and all of you HERE.

• Like 1

• Members

Nice positive spin, I guess I grateful I still have a job, food and shelter. Besides being lonely and battling grief and depression being grateful is important.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Missy,

I agree that being grateful is important. We all have SOMETHING that we can be grateful for right now. I am glad you still have a job, food and shelter.

HUGS

Kelly

• Administrators

I am grateful for healthy food today.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi all,

I can't believe its already May. 

So grateful for another month and to think it will be Mother's Day soon.

Hope you are all well. 

• Members
MODArtemis2019

I have a lot to be grateful for. I still have my work and my modest income. I have my three wonderful cats who take care of me by letting me take care of them. And I have my sanctuary, my little home in between the fields and the woods. And maybe most of all, my wonderful therapist, who not only helped my husband and me in our relationship, but also has been my anchor to sanity since his passing. 

• Like 1

• Members

I am grateful for having a job and being able to do it from home in these precarious times when so many people are struggling to get by. For having a home, even though it’s lonely without my love. I am grateful he left me his music, his messages and his love notes to keep my soul warm for the rest of my life. I am grateful I found this community of generous and selfless people who understand and support me and each other with wisdom and love. Thank You!

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Like 2

• Members

I am so grateful for this forum and all the people who post and share their experiences.

Today, I am grateful for blue skies, sunshine and chirping birds.:-)

Also enjoying a glass of lemonade.

• Like 1