Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lots of fear

Missy1

• Members

The one thing I’m seeing over and over is people who are so full of fear.  I’m not denying that this may be serious however the fear-based behavior is awful and what it’s doing to our society is sad! The hoarding and the  greed is very telling. 
It’s nice to hear people on this forum were doing positive things in their community.

• Members
Grieving Boomer

The fear that overwhelms me is the shutdown of almost the entire infrastructure and resulting economic and social upheaval it is creating.  I'm not so much afraid of getting the virus, but I really fear the end of the world as we know it.

• Members

I agree  there are tentacles that reach into so many places and affect us in so many ways will not even be known fully until this whole thing plays out. I wonder how the world will change after this? 

I think people will dislike me for saying this but I really think it’s an overreaction, that’s just my opinion I think the damage that it’s causing is worse than anything that were fearing people are living from coronavirus in the United States because we have healthcare Third World countries not so much...

• Members
Grieving Boomer
2 minutes ago, Missy1 said:

I agree  there are tentacles that reach into so many places and affect us in so many ways will not even be known fully until this whole thing plays out. I wonder how the world will change after this? 

I think people will dislike me for saying this but I really think it’s an overreaction, that’s just my opinion I think the damage that it’s causing is worse than anything that were fearing people are living from coronavirus in the United States because we have healthcare Third World countries not so much...

I can see why you would think it's an overreaction when you think about the number of deaths and the seriousness of the virus - many people recover, and the ones who are hit the hardest are seniors, persons with compromised immune systems and children are more at risk.  It's the level of contagion and level of incubation during which there are no symptoms.  Conversely, I caught a respiratory virus at Christmas that was extremely contagious (I am fairly resistant when it comes to viruses), even during the end of the cycle (which is how me and my neighbour caught it - from a friend who was just getting over the flu).  There were some deaths from that flu but there was no quarantine/social isolation/business closures in effect.  As you say, Missy 1, what is often cited as the reason for these drastic measures of containment is to flatten the curve so it won't be such a burden on the health care system all at once.  The problem is, the experts reiterate that we are not being confined to our rooms and we should take care of our mental health needs and tout the usual stress reduction stragegies which are significantly disrupted by this imposed containment regime.   That is going to elevate the incidence and severity of stress related disease like high blood pressue or blood sugar levels as well as panic or postraumatic stress disorders and depression.  Walking through largely deserted streets or parks doesn't cut it; in fact, at least for me, it produces an eerie feeling of something very wrong with the world.   Who needs terrorism when the powers that be institute these measures on such a massive scale? 

• Members
16 hours ago, Missy1 said:

I think people will dislike me for saying this but I really think it’s an overreaction, that’s just my opinion I think the damage that it’s causing is worse than anything that were fearing people are living from coronavirus in the United States because we have healthcare

MIssy, I certainly don't dislike you for stating an opinion and I agree many people are overreacting (who needs 2,000 rolls of toilet paper or 100 lb of flour?).  And I really don't understand people buying a 3 month supply of perishables, which will go to waste.  But the difference with COVID-19 is that it's entirely new so no one has immunity, much is not known about it, it's highly contagious, and it can live on hard surfaces for more than 2 weeks (flu is about 24 hours).  So far, it's got a much higher fatality rate than modern seasonal flu strains, but it's hard to know how that will shake out in the long run because it's still so new and influenza viruses (and mutations) have been studied and treated for decades.

The fact is that our healthcare system is not fully up to the challenge.  The federal government should never have disbanded the departments tasked with keeping us prepared for something like this.  Millions have no access to health care and will overwhelm the emergency system.  The for-profit model has left us with a system of "If you have money, you get great health care; if you have nothing, you likely can get good health care; if you're in the middle, good luck."  There's a reason that a huge percentage of bankruptcies are due to overwhelming medical costs. 

People are recovering from it here and elsewhere, but has a fatality rate of 2.5% to 3% in the United States. There is a mindset (not directing this at you; it's a general observation) of "Well it's only X% and most people recover.  What's the big deal?"  The big deal, of course, is that those people would change their tunes in an instant if someone they loved was in danger of being part of the X%.  Actually, one senator went on TV at some event and said something like, "At worst, this will only kill 3% to 4% of the US population."  Translation math:  Approx 350 million people times 3% to 4%, total fatalities would be between 10 and 14 million Americans.  Compare that to seasonal flu fatality rate of between 0.1% and 0.15%. 

No, I don't think that will happen because not everyone will become ill and, hopefully, better treatment protocols will be put in place.  But this is more contagious and so little is known about it's epidemiology that it's mostly speculation right now.  There is too much intentional withholding of accurate information with lots of conflicting information and outright lies.  I think some people are panicking because they just don't know what to believe sometimes.

• Administrators

I just posted in the OMG thread about how I dealt with my fear today. We need to change our mindset because we can control the lens we view the world in. If we seep in fear than that is what we will be swimming in all the time. The facts are going to be the same and much is out of our control. But how we deal with it is up to us. I empower you all to find a way that is filled with light to navigate the darkness that is out there right now.

• Members

So I have an opportunity to help, I know a nurse who’s working in a COVID19  unit and she needs a place to stay.  Yes, I will be at risk for contracting COVID19 perhaps. The medical units take lots of precautions they don’t wear the same clothes on the floor, they shower, they have respirators on all day however it’s very highly contagious what are your thoughts would you take her in? 

• Members

@Missy1  I think we're all going to have to realize that we might be exposed at some point.  We can and should take as many precautions as we can, but short of a sealed, negative pressure environment with an air lock and UV sanitizers that we never leave, we can't avoid every risk.

As long as she takes all the precautions and as long as you do the same, then I think it could be a very positive thing for you.  But only if you don't purposefully expose yourself hoping that the virus will kill you.  Sorry to be blunt, but sometimes that's what's called for, especially now when life can feel so pointless and hopeless.

Archived