Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

question about divorce/grief

• Members

One minute I am devastated about the past and then for longer periods I really feel fine...Is this the normal grieving process? It has been 6 years since my divorce was finalized, but I spent nearly all of that time on numerous legal and illegal drugs, I have been totally sober for six months now.... appreciate any input! smile.gif

• Members

One minute I am devastated about the past and then for longer periods I really feel fine...Is this the normal grieving process? It has been 6 years since my divorce was finalized, but I spent nearly all of that time on numerous legal and illegal drugs, I have been totally sober for six months now.... appreciate any input! smile.gif

I'd say that what is happening is that since you are sober, you have started to deal with all the emotions and issues that you hid and masked with drug abuse. Please continue to be sober no matter how painful the process gets. One way to help the issue is to go to an alcoholics anonymous meeting or a narcotics anonymous meeting nearby and discuss how your grieving was affected by the illegal drug use.

If you are not comfortable with attending meetings, then write down how you are feeling. Write down things like what your are thinking and how you can change that thinking if grieving is the trigger that started your illegal drug use.

Have you tried to move forward with new relationships? Have you come to terms with the fact that your former spouse has possibly moved on, or are you hoping for a reconciliation one day? How long were you married? Was it something you did that instigated the breakup of your marriage, or was it something he did?

We will be here to encourage and support you through your healing process. I am so happy to hear of your sobriety. Please keep up the good work.

ModKonnie

Archived