Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Three Years Out

TAM1

• Members
On 2/14/2020 at 10:19 PM, KayC said:

But Rxs, etc. can sure add up too.

The cost of medication is ridiculous. If you get medicare there is a program thru social security that you can apply for to get help possibly. Also I do know that GoodRx is a good place to look for discounts. One prescription I had they wanted $38.00 to fill it and on GoodRx the price went to $9.00. Not sure this will help but it may be worth a try.

• Members
7 hours ago, ModKatB said:

The cost of medication is ridiculous. If you get medicare there is a program thru social security that you can apply for to get help possibly. Also I do know that GoodRx is a good place to look for discounts. One prescription I had they wanted $38.00 to fill it and on GoodRx the price went to $9.00. Not sure this will help but it may be worth a try.

Edit:  Teresa, I hope we're not taking this too far afield for you.  I suspect not considering what you've been going through, but it's your thread.  Feel free to tell me to get back on track.

That's a great thought and can be very helpful for some people.  I think it's a good idea for all of us to check into them from time to time because the guidelines for them do change.

Unfortunately, the income and asset limits for Medicare assistance are really low.  There are two programs.  One pays all or part of the Part B (medical) premium, currently $145/month for most people.  The other helps with overall medical and prescription coverage.  Some people with very limited income and assets who are on other government programs like SNAP or SSI have dual Medicare-Medicaid coverage.  In some states that can include vision, hearing, and/or dental, through Medicaid.  Original Medicare never covers preventive vision, hearing, or dental under any circumstances. 

Edit: If beneficiaries opt for a Medicare Advantage HMO (Part C), the HMO sets premiums (in addition to $145 for Part B), co-pays, and health provider networks. Most include Part D with various coverage and co-pays as well.  They can offer preventive vision, hearing, and dental, which can be optional at an additional premium or included and with additional co-pays and limits on coverage.  If you're in an urban area, you may have many insurance company options, zero premiums, and even the newest optional benefits like rides to doctors, home health nurses, and even meal delivery.  That's nice.  If you're in a rural area or anywhere with a smaller population, you probably have limited Advantage plans available, higher premiums and co-pays, and few if any of the optional add ons.  (Edit and rant finished.)

I am a big fan of GoodRx and other discount programs.  My Part D insurer has a 90 day mail-in option, which I use for ongoing medications that have low or no co-pay through them.  But one of our local chain pharmacies is fantastic for more expensive ones.  I have a few long-term medications filled through them because my insurance co-pay is so high.  The pharmacists there take the time to see if any discount programs, their company's or others, can lower the price.  In fact, that happened to me last week.  A topical gel I use went from $20 per month to more than $150 per month over a couple of years.  I scrimped and used half the amount for a while, but am running out.  I discovered that GoodRx had a 1 month price of $32 at the local pharmacy.  When I went to pick it up, the computer had automatically run it through my insurer.  The tech said, "The co-pay on this is really high." and proceeded to use not just my GoodRx number, but run it through a couple of other programs.  She brought it down from my insurer's $156 to $26.  But we should not have to play these games or go through so many hoops just to have reasonable health care costs.  Maybe some day we'll decide that's an actual priority and demand changes that put fewer dollars in the insurers and pharma companies CEOs' pockets and leave more money in ours.

• Moderators

I don't qualify for helps/supplements.  I have a Medicare Advantage program, Healthnet, and it doesn't charge beyond the $145 that gets taken out of social security for Medicare.  We get $3850 per year for what Healthnet and I pay the pharmacy combined, after that I'm in the "gap" and have to pay 51% of my Rxs until I hit the ceiling mark and it's covered.  I can't afford 51% so I keep a spreadsheet on all Rxs so I can track it throughout the year.  My Asthma inhaler alone costs $3600/year so I take 1 puff a day instead of two or I wouldn't have room for my other Rxs.  I've been on this for 15 years, don't know why it costs so much.  The ins. took me off Advair Discus and put me on Wixella instead but it costs more than Advair Diskus so go figure.  Nope, still waiting for the prices to get reasonable.

Teresa, how are you doing today?  Are you able to get around okay?  Do you still have someone looking in on you or bringing you groceries?  Do you know how long you'll be laid up?

• Members

Yesterday my sister Diane took me to my 1st post-op appointment and I'm doing well. It was my first time walking downstairs from my place in two weeks using a cane.  She took me shopping at the grocery store which was great as I could pick things out and then we walked to a coffee shop nearby. Today was my first physical therapy appointment and the the rest of these are scheduled through mid-March and will do exercises at home. I'm going to try driving starting next week - it's a goal. 

• Moderators

Oh Teresa, I'm glad your sister was there to help you and you did alright getting out.  I can't imagine tackling stairs post-op, but you did it!  Sending you much love and hugs (gentle ones).

• Members

Teresa, Great to hear that you've been progressing in your recovery.  Walking downstairs is a huge deal.  My BIL had a terrible bicycling accident and had to have a hip replacement in his late 50s.  My SIL was so excited the day he could try walking up and down the stairs, slowly and carefully.  It took time, but he recovered well and almost 15 years later has said he barely even thinks about it, except to remember to be careful with certain activities.

For me driving would definitely be a huge deal.  The times I haven't been able to drive, I have felt so helpless.  Even when my husband was here to drive me or to go do errands, it was like I was a captive to my own health issues.

Thank you so much checking in and letting us know your sister was there to help you. ((hugs))

• Members

Hi Kay - a bit overwhelmed today.  I have my physical therapy lined up for the next month and am handling the usual things here. Certainly have healing to do and know my limitations, and just needing help for simple things (like taking the trash up five flights) means I am a ways from being whole. 

Not that I look for, nor need additional concerns or "drama", but last night I saw some very sad and disturbing Facebook posts shared by my daughter-in-law. I know she has been having severe post-partum depression and when I saw the posts I texted my son and asked if he had seen them. She had blocked him from seeing these so I captured and sent the posts to him. Looking at the images for the posts, although a few "Liked" or laughed, I could not. How can anyone laugh at what I was seeing?  She did delete the posts shortly after I made copies of the images. My son has asked me to capture any new odd posts. I went on this site last night looking for an area to post such things, but I was at a loss. I plan on flying out to see them at Easter for a few days and she was happy to know I was coming out - I will be cleared by Easter to fly. Certainly not now - I'm not even driving yet. I need to put in the "time-off request" to the office for approval immediately after returning to work on March 9th. I have purchased the plane tickets already. 

Watching someone walking down that dark hall of depression I can't help but relate and be sensitive to where that person is - especially my daughter-in-law. I'm praying - always do. I'm wary of any indication of potential suicide.

Having coffee, need to focus on home exercises and my next PT session is tomorrow morning. I may have to drive myself to this as there is no one available - which means "girding my loins".  I need to pull myself together for others. 

• Members

Oh no.  Teresa, I'm so sorry your DIL is going through such a deep, dark journey herself.  Good for you for not letting the FB posts slide and making sure your son not only knew about them, but saw them.  I'm certain that your presence will help them both when you visit.

But I must say, even though I know you know, that you also need to recover, feel better physically (and hopefully, emotionally as well), and "pull yourself together" for your own sake.  You matter as much as others do. 

Of course our instinct is to take care of and support our children, no matter how old they are.  I am yet again helping our adult daughter with a couple of things; her daddy and I always did and no doubt always would.  But I've had to start placing limits on how much of my own fragile emotional health I can give to her just now.  OTOH, she's not going through post-partum depression or down in those depths and I probably wouldn't give a damn about my own mental state if she needed me like that.  She has been in a dark-ish place because of helping with our granddaughter's other grandma.  She's got a good support system of friends close by, so I don't worry too much.  Do your son and DIL have people close by who can keep an eye on them and help out? 

I am not surprised, but am always bothered, by how some people can like, laugh, etc. posts and photos that are clearly disturbing or a cry for help.  As much as I love technology and the internet, I think there's a danger in how it let's people be divorced from personal interaction.  Seeing faces, hearing voices, being up close and looking into another person's eyes is so important to our well being as humans.

Know that, even though we too aren't there face-to-face, everyone is thinking about you and sending you courage and comfort as you go through this difficult recovery. ((hugs))

• Moderators

Teresa,

I am sorry your DIL is going through this, and your son with her.  My thoughts were immediately the same as foreverhis' that right now I hope you can focus on your recovery because you are worth putting yourself first and it's needed right now.  I can't imagine hauling trash container five flights, my daughter is on the 4th floor but they have an elevator (when it's working).
IMO it's not appropriate to laugh at a cry for help or dark post.  Ever.

• Members

Just got home from my second physical therapy appointment this morning - the first was an evaluation but I have some things to address that I'd like to work on. I understand this is a very important part of healing so there is no missing appointments, no matter what.  The place is close-by, so I will begin driving myself next week. 

If "Eagle Eye" insomniac grandma had not seen those Facebook posts Wednesday night and wondered about them, no one who cares about my DIL would have seen them. Given some light helps in being aware of these dark thoughts.  

• Members

I'm having dialogue with my son - he needs this. Lots of needs. 

Archived