Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Having Kitty euthanized this morning

KayC

• Moderators

I believe she is in kidney failure.  She has no meat on her bones, she was skinny to start with but not there's nothing but bones and fur.  She has a bad odor, her stools have changed, she's not happy, lost appetite, just not doing well.  I feel  this would be the kindest thing for her but it's so hard.  She's 25 and lived a good life with me, her earlier life was very hard, abandoned by people over and over again in a trailer court.  Here it's been Kitty heaven, but now she's not doing well.

Last night I put Kodie to bed and was about to turn out the light when Kitty came up and sat next to me and purred while I stroked her.  I knew it'd probably be the last time so I stayed up with her an hour while she got some quality time with me.  She's not a lap cat by any means and she chooses the time and it's not frequent, so I cherished that time with her.

Today I have to say goodbye, Kitty.  I don't know how I'm going to do this.  I hate it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Dear Kay:

This is very sad and brings a tear to my eye.  Whether we lose our pets through an accident, disease, or natural causes, the day we have to say goodbye is truly a crushing and painful day.  You have been through so much in such a short period of time that would have completely debilitated most people, myself included.  Through it all, you come here daily to share your grief and help others in their journey dealing with their own grief.  You have been a blessing to me and I'm sure, so many others.

Kitty was so fortunate to have found you.  You gave her 25 years of life when realistically she probably would have had just a few given her prior life.  It sounds as if she knew the end was near last night and decided to spend that extra time with you before you retired.  It was her way of thanking you for all that you did for her and telling you she loved you very much. 

You are in my thoughts and prayers today and the days that follow.

Hugs,

Steve    

• Like 2

• Moderators

At first they told me she had hyperthyroidism, which is treatable.  I said she is so tired, she's done, she's not happy anymore, she's lost so much weight, she's vomiting, her stools are different, she doesn't have appetite.  She weighed less than 4 1/2 lbs, down from 9.  Then they told me she's jaundiced and has liver failure and kidneys shutting down.  I figured the kidneys.  It was time for her to have her rest.  I buried her next to Arlie.  I will order her stone later today or tomorrow.  

I had to clean out her litter and where she ate.  She had an accident in her carrier, I guess that's common.  I just feel so bad for her.  I'm glad we had our time together last night, it was our last.  I've been bawling all day, this is so hard.  She was demanding and cantankerous, but that was her way of surviving, I love her and always will.  She didn't want Easy Cheese this morning, that was confirmation that I was doing the right thing, it was time.

She purred the whole time and when the sedative kicked in her purring stopped and she fell over.  I just kept loving her.  I felt like stopping them but knew this was the kindest thing for her.  I'm glad for her sake that she's out of it.  I'm sure going to miss her.

3 hours ago, A.P. Hill said:

It sounds as if she knew the end was near last night and decided to spend that extra time with you before you retired.  It was her way of thanking you for all that you did for her and telling you she loved you very much. 

I think you're right.

3 hours ago, A.P. Hill said:

You are in my thoughts and prayers today and the days that follow.

Hugs,

Steve    

Thanks so much, I'm having a hard day.  I had a friend go with me, I appreciated that so much.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Kay, I am so sorry about Kitty. I know it was extremely difficult having to do this, but you did the right thing. No need for any more suffering. You gave her 25 years of a happy, loving life. I bet she thought she was the luckiest cat in the world. 25 years! Wow! You were certainly doing something right. That truly is amazing, Kay. Thank you for being such an amazing mother to her.

Wishing you all the best, Kay. You hang in there!

• Like 1

• Members

Kay, 

So sorry about Kitty.  I am glad that you had a friend with you. It means a lot to have someone to lean on when you suffer a loss.

Hugs to you.

Gail

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am going to write stories about her life, like I did with Arlie, not as many but they will be moving and some funny.  She was an amazing cat with a very unique journey.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yesterday your memorial stone came and I placed it on your grave.  Little Kitty, your body lay next to your brother Arlie's, although I know neither of you really reside there.  I pray you have lots of Easy Cheese and your fears are all gone.  I hope you're purring like a cement mixer.  I love you and miss you, Kitty.

Kitty123008-3 Sm.jpg

Kitty 113012.JPG

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

Awwww. Kitty is so beautiful, Kay. Gosh, I wish they could live forever! And the "purring like a cement mixer" comment, put a smile on my face. She was very happy when she was doing that. Lady G. would purr like that too. It was so cute to hear that! They can make a ll kinds of different sounds.

Hoping the days ahead become much easier for you, Kay. And I know they will.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thank you, it's so hard seeing her empty step stool, if I could have, I would have buried it with her but I couldn't dig a hole that big with this hard snowy ground.

She had the loudest purr I've ever heard, it always brought a smile to my face.  Hearing Lady G. purred like that too...that is too cool!  She had such a hard life before me, and such a dream life with me, I guess that is my one consolation.  But I'm sure sorry her ending was so sudden and hard.  I would have put her to sleep earlier had I known.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kay:

Kitty was so darned beautiful.  I'll bet Kitty and Arlie have found each other and are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Warmest regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• Members

I am so sorry I have been so caught up in work. I am so sorry I haven't checked in to see your post earlier when this happened. Poor kitty, you definitely did the right thing at exactly the right time for her. I hope you are okay. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@AJWCat  Thank you.  I'd have had her put to sleep the day after Christmas if I'd known how it was going to go for her, but she seemed better for a couple of days and then worse  In all it was 12 days from her first display of being sick to her euthanasia...12 days too long.  She definitely deserved her peace.  I'm missing her, it's way too quiet without her.  She was a very loud and vocal cat.  She even purred loud!  She's up in heaven now, demanding her Easy Cheese and has the angels hopping to!  I wish I had a video of her...

• Like 1
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

At least she was with you and hopefully comfortable enough. You still ended her suffering when you did. Have to weigh the guilt of "too soon" also. It's the never-ending conundrum. 

I have one video I filmed of our cat kneading his bed - but from behind - no face. Thought I had more time.

I still have consistent post-trauma with our "new" cat - now with us for 2 years. I always fear something is wrong with her even though she is totally fine.  

• Moderators

I definitely don't feel it was "too soon," more like later than I should have, but I just didn't know.

I am not a videographer, or a photographer, and I really wish I'd gotten a video and more pictures...but I take terrible ones anyway.  My son is hounding me to get videos of my puppy, I think HE needs to video him while I entertain him, and I wish I had a video of Arlie.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:38 AM, AJWCat said:

I always fear something is wrong with her even though she is totally fine.

I totally get this...one of the hazards of grief sufferers.  :(

• Members
Eternalsoul
On 1/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, KayC said:

Yesterday your memorial stone came and I placed it on your grave.  Little Kitty, your body lay next to your brother Arlie's, although I know neither of you really reside there.  I pray you have lots of Easy Cheese and your fears are all gone.  I hope you're purring like a cement mixer.  I love you and miss you, Kitty.

Kitty123008-3 Sm.jpg

Kitty 113012.JPG

She's so beautiful. Haha, she's so cute. Oh my gosh. She's probably even prettier in Heaven. How special. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/17/2020 at 11:49 AM, A.P. Hill said:

I'll bet Kitty and Arlie have found each other and are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

And Missy Mocha.

• Members
CharliesM0m2012

I am so sorry for your loss + so sorry for everyone going through the hard, heartbreaking thing that is having a pet PTS.

Covid’s changed a lot of the way medical care is delivered and doctors, nurses, even vets, they look so much different in their additional masks, gowns, visors, etc.  I am still struggling to deal with the fact the last faces my Charlie girl would’ve seen were covered with masks and the last hands to touch her would’ve been gloved up.  

• Like 1