Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

• Members

This 6-min. video depicts my struggle with loss of right-side functionality due to transverse myelitis (inflammation of spinal cord). I found hope when I stopped trying to get my life back to where it had been and reached for a new future. Inspired by Christopher Reeve. Link: https://youtu.be/y0p8-tRO9LM 

• Members

Hi Sun Rise,
Thank-you for the video. I identify with what you are saying:
"I found hope when I stopped trying to get my life back to where it had been and reached for a new future"
That is so true.
For many years I fought to get my old life back. We hear those inspirational words "Never Give Up!"
But then I learned - sometimes, we have to accept that the loss is permanent.
Sometimes, we need to let go of the old life so we can start a new life.
The trick is to know when to "Never Give Up!" and when to accept the loss is permanent, let go of the old life so we can start a new future.
Thank-you for the reminder. Your post has helped me heal another layer.
You are truly inspirational.

• Members

Glad you were helped and healed.

A "trick" indeed to figure out when to give up the old life. I suppose it comes down to that last failure.

But apparently many people spend themselves into bankruptcy continuing on with the quest.

Of course you can sometimes go back to the old life if the opportunity presents itself - as when someone goes deaf and spends 10 years making a massive change only to see cochlear implants invented. The danger is that I won't go "all in" with the new if I'm waiting on a miraculous return to the old.

Happy journeying!  Sun

Archived