Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Visiting a hospital

Gail 8588

• Members

I stayed in the hospital, by my husband's side, as he struggled to recover from his stroke. They were difficult weeks for us both.  

I have not been back in a hospital since his death.  Tomorrow I am going to a hospital to  visit his mother who has suffered a fall. I am dreading being in a hospital room with IVs and monitors etc.  I am not sure I will be able to do it.  

But I do very much want to be there for my mother in law.     

It's been 2 1/2 years, I feel I should be able to do this.  

Any tips on how to hold myself together to do this. 

Thanks.

• Moderators

Oh gosh, Gail, I remember that first time after, that was so hard!  I went to visit a close friend, the husband of my best friend.  She was there for my husband in the hospital that last weekend, and I wanted very much to be there for her husband and her in their time.  As I entered the hospital, the same one George died in, the tears flowed.  I couldn't shut them off.  They felt bad for me and I didn't want it to be about me, it was about them, but neither could I stop the tears.  

I hope you do better than I did.  I think it was about a year out when I went through that.  You've had more time, not sure that helps.

Try to focus on why you're there...I wish you well.  Let us know how it goes.

• Members

Well, I went and did okay. Couldn't help tearing up sometimes and had to leave the room once when they were transferring her using the hammock lift thing.   But did okay.  

Glad to know I can do it. 

Gail

• Moderators

I'm glad you made it through it.  The first time was the hardest for me, esp. since it was the same hospital, same ward.  It got better.

• Members

Gail, you are strong. You already endured 1 of the toughest things anyone will have to go thru. I'm glad you were able to see your MIL. I went to the hospital 8 days after my husband passed. It was extremely painful, but my husband and I have always had a "suck it up" type of attitude. Plus, I wanted to pretend i was visiting my husband. I wanted to feel the pain. The week following my husband's death, I felt so numb that i ran my hand over the stove top burner just to see if i could feel it. Also, when i went to the hospital, i pretended that my husband was there with me, like a ghost walking by my side. He was watching me and he was proud of me for being strong. 

Archived