Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The Go Fund Me page

foreverhis

• Members

Hi everyone.  I'm not going to lecture, but I am urging everyone to please hop over to the Go Fund Me page and make a small contribution.  I do know how hard it is to find extra money when we've lost our spouse's/partner's incomes and have to cut back on every expense.  I've made hard choices already and will no doubt have to make more as I go along.  Money worries certainly add to the stress we feel as we flounder around just trying to get through the day.  But I appreciate that we don't have to suffer through advertising or commercials on this life-saving (at least for me) website.  We know, more than most people, that nothing in life is free.  The support I've found here is invaluable.

I messaged Kelly that I would be willing to pay a small "dues" to keep the site going.  I figure that I can do without a small indulgence each month.  For me, that would be my once or twice a month latte and pastry.  I asked myself which I need more, which gives me lasting comfort.  I know without doubt that I need this website and all of you far more than I need a frothy beverage or a who-needs-the-calories-anyway Danish.  I am going to set aside that little bit each month and earmark it to pay for my emotional and psychological well being.

So please make sure we can all meet here and help each other through this dark, painful, and lasting journey.  Before, I was in the dark, lost and feeling hopeless, even when I was in a room full of people who love me and my sweetheart.  Even our wonderful daughter knows she cannot fully grasp what it is like for me.  Today I know that some of the flickers of light and hope that I see are all of you, my friends on the road none of us ever wanted to walk.  Now I am not alone and can come here to talk, to rant, to cry, and to try to comfort others when I can.

Kelly said it would be okay for me to post the link here.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/grievingcom-needs-your-help

I am sending hugs and love to each and every one of you.

• Moderators

I intend to do the same although I don't have a luxury to cut out, I'll make do on a bit less.  Any sacrifice, however small, is appreciated!

• Members

Hi Kay.  I know that I am lucky right now that I have that indulgence to forego.  I allow myself a little bit each month not in the necessities budget because my husband and I always made sure we had a small amount of money that didn't have to be accounted for to anyone.  It wasn't much, but it gave us a feeling of freedom to know we had a few dollars that could be spent any way we chose.  I suspect the day will come when I can't do that.  When that happens, I'll just cut back something else a bit to make sure I can come here.  It's that important, IMO.

• Moderators

It is!  I've had to learn to live on a very tight budget since George died.  He left me way in debt and with income cut in half, it's been tight.  Then I lost my job...three times, and faced age discrimination for the first time in my life.  But this isn't a message of woe, quite the contrary, it's been faith-building to see how God has taken care of me!  I've never missed a meal (you can tell by looking at me!) and I've never been late on a payment.  I prioritize and don't go shopping.  ;)  This is a priority and even though I can't do a lot, I can be faithful in making payments each month.  I'd love to see a paypal link so I could set it up to automatically hit each month.

• Members

I too will try to help in some way, I agree this is a much needed site which has helped so many of us.  I will look at it more in next couple days to see what I can do also. Did not realize that it was not funded in some way...I never went on the chat site as I didnt feel comfortable doing that...it was never about having to pay for it.  Im actually new to even posting..having never done it before..not even facebook. Thankyou to the wonderful ladies who have kept it going. Jeanne

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

I prioritize and don't go shopping.

That one is kind of easy for me:  I don't like shopping.  In my 20s I enjoyed it, but the past 35 years or so, I've just dreaded it.  I used to tell my husband that I must have missed the "long term shopping happiness" gene somehow.  He didn't seem to mind.

It does make it easier to prioritize because my husband and I both had the same attitude:  Buy the best you can afford (not what you want, necessarily, but afford).  Then take care of it and use it until it's completely used up.  Our "new" car is a 1986 and still running well at 256,000 miles.  Though I will confess that we were looking at buying a car made this century and I am planning on buying a good used car made in the past 5 years that I'm hoping will be my last.

• Moderators

I just got my hopefully last car, it's a 2016 Honda Civic, it had 8740 miles on it!  My 2007 Honda Civic had 195000 miles on it when I sold it in 2018.  I had a 2001 Volvo for a few months but it was always breaking down, just too old I guess.  I loved it when it was working.  My son just fixed it and will sell it when he has time.  (Cars don't sell here, too out of the way).  My pickup is 1989 Nissan, terrible gas mileage but it gets me around in the snow and I used to give Arlie rides in it.  I called it "Arlie's truck."

• Moderators

Only $390 left to go, that's great!  I hope they get some more donors.  I wish my budget wasn't so tight, I plan to do $10/month, still wish they'd get charity status and set up with Paypal so I could do it reoccurring and forget about it.  Thank you to everyone who has helped, it goes to show that every bit counts!

• Moderators

Well we thought we had the website issues all behind us but apparently this website can't handle all the traffic either so if there's problems, know they're working on it.  I'm going to pay a monthly fee I can afford and hope those who can do so will with me.  They're going to have to go through all this again, I'm so sorry for them!  But they're doing it for us and soon we'll be through this...

• Members

As soon as Kelly sent me an email about the $1.99 per month subscription we can do, I went over and signed up.  Even though I did two small Go Fund Me donations and can have a year for that, I do not want to worry that she won't be able to cover the costs of the server etc.  I can do $2 a month and still have my coffee with the girls twice a month as well.  It's so worth it to me.  In a few years, I will lose even more income, so I figure I'd better put a little extra to good use now.

Archived