Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My four dogs killed my kitten

Threezerothree

• Members
Threezerothree

This just happened two hours ago and I still can't rid off this guilt in my chest right now. My father brought a kitten from the streets. And I can't forget the first night she ate with us, she was eating hungrily like she haven't eaten for days. From a very small and malnourished body, I cant believe she was able to finish a big plain rice ball (that's bigger than her small face). She was the gentlest cat I ever had and she would always watch me wash the dishes at night and sleeps peacefully at my lap. Thinking about this makes me cry because of pain and guilt. I never actually thought that my four dogs would do it because they were so gentle with my kitten and never even fight with her. My cat was just outside with the dogs and I went inside the house to eat lunch. I suddenly heard my father said that the cat was dead, I thought he was joking but then when I went outside, I saw our tiny kitten lying. Now its caramel and white fur wet with its own blood. And our dogs, they were around the poor kitten and just wagging their tails as if my kitten was just a toy. I really can't believe my own dogs did it, my friendly and playful dogs. And I never heard any cat hissing or dogs barking when that happened. Imagining the really small kitten surrounded by big dogs just pains me. She can't protect herself at all. She can't do anything. If I just bought my kitten inside the house with me, this could never had happened. She could have stayed with a us for more thsb a week. I am also thinking of killing the dogs because im just so angry right now. But then a part of tells that its not their fault because their just dogs, they cant distinguish what's right and wrong. And the only person to blame is me. Because of being so irresponsible, someone's life is lost. Whoever is reading this, please be responsible with your pets. Be extra careful with them or even bring them with you, especially if it is a small and sickly animal. You'll just regret losing them. The pain you feel is the same with losing a close friend or family. And no matter how much you cry and pray for them to come back, it would never happen. There would be a feeling of emptiness or something incomplete. Starting this day, there would be no more cat sleeping peacefully on my lap. No one would wait for me to finish washing the dishes at night. There will be no more meowing and purring sounds. And there will be no more furball sleeping with me anymore.

• Moderators

Hon, I am so sorry, you could not have known this would happen.  I've had dogs and cats all my life and this never happened. Perhaps since there were three of them they were acting like a pack,which has different behavior than just one alone.  I hope you never bring another kitten into your home while you have these three dogs.  As you say, they are behaving as is their nature, and do not understand that they did something wrong, and so will not change, it will be up to you to keep cats from them.  But please understand, this is not your fault either as how could you have possibly foreseen this?  Even your father did not foresee this, he was trying to do good by bringing her home and feeding her.

My heart goes out to you.  I know what you mean by the emptiness, I lost my dog 1 1/2 weeks ago (Cancer) and my heart is broken and I can't get used to his not being here to get my last bite of food, go on walks with me or look over at him smiling in his sleep.  He had so much personality and the house is far too quiet now, I miss everything about him, but did not want him to suffer anymore.

It's the hardest pain in the world, to be missing the one you love...

• Members

Oh my gosh this is so horrible I am so sorry. Sadly your dogs probably were just playing and got excited and aggressive together in the pack as KayC said.  

Archived