Grief Support Marketplace

Check Our New Products In The Marketplace

Take Grieving.com on the Go!

Buy on Apple and Google Play
New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×
KayC

Memories of Arlie

KayC

When I’d gotten Arlie, he not only had acute chronic Colitis, but he also had Kennel Cough from the rescue I’d gotten him from.  I was telling my mom this on the phone (she had a lot of mental issues as well as dementia forming) and she announced that SHE had kennel cough too, and began to give a couple of fake coughs to prove it.  Over the years whenever my family thought about this (she has since passed from dementia) it has brought us a smile.    

KayC

One day I had to bring Arlie to the vet out of town since ours is only open on Wednesdays (hazard of country life) and I needed to go to the doctor so a friend of mine said he’d watch Arlie while I was at the doctor.  He went into Jim’s bedroom and clamored up on his bed, which was higher than most, and then was too scared to jump down.  Jim fixed him a steak…he jumped down for that!  (I told him I would have jumped down for that!)  Jim’s roommate was used to his own dog, Winston, who actually obeyed orders.  He opened the front door and out Arlie went!  Oh no!  Jim was scared Arlie was going to get run over on his watch…he ran one way, his roommate the other, just as the city bus was coming!  He finally got him back, no worse for the wear, but both of them worn out from the run.

KayC

Early on I tried to introduce Kitty, my 14 year old cat, to Arlie.  She was having nothing to do with it, she’d rather stay outside and take her chances.  The bully neighborhood cats kept trying to get her food away from her so I’d put her in a box with her food and let her out when she was done so she could eat in peace.  After about 1 2/3 years of this, she decided she’d rather take her chances with Arlie, so she entered the house, told him she was boss and that was it.  I’ve actually caught him going clear around the house to avoid walking by this 9 lb. old cat.  They lived in peace until Arlie’s death when Kitty was 25.

KayC

My son & DIL brought their dogs to my home and we all visited Rich down the street…they had Bruno and Mozzy and Rich had Sammy and Miss Piggy along with my Arlie.  The dogs ran and played in the snow!  It was Arlie’s favorite day of his life, all of his favorite friends to play with.  They ran back and forth, chasing each other’s tails!  Miss Piggy mostly watched from the sidelines…she lived to 19, a little tired but enjoying the show.  This was taken that day.

Arlie running.jpg

Arlie's face-sm.jpg

• Like 1

A.P. Hill
6 minutes ago, KayC said:

My son & DIL brought their dogs to my home and we all visited Rich down the street…they had Bruno and Mozzy and Rich had Sammy and Miss Piggy along with my Arlie.  The dogs ran and played in the snow!  It was Arlie’s favorite day of his life, all of his favorite friends to play with.  They ran back and forth, chasing each other’s tails!  Miss Piggy mostly watched from the sidelines…she lived to 19, a little tired but enjoying the show.  This picture was taken that day.

Arlie running.jpg

Dear Kay:

That is an absolutely awesome picture.  There is nothing quite like watching a group of dogs playing together.  Another great memory that no one will ever be able to take away from you.  Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Stevve 

KayC

One day my friend Rich called me and said Miss Piggy was missing, could I come help him find her?  Arlie and I walked up and down the street calling her, it was snowing and the street was covered with white and piling up.  We came home and got the pickup, slowly going up and down the street, calling her, no answer.  I put up flyers and posted on Facebook.  The next morning I got a response from one neighbor, she said the crazy Russian lady often took dogs in.  She lived two houses down from Rich so she should have known where Miss Piggy belonged.  I’d had a previous encounter with her on my walks with Arlie, her little dogs running crazy, her wanting to borrow neighbor’s phones and upset they wouldn’t let her.  I’d told her maybe it was the tampons in her hair.  I let her know it’d be cheaper to get some rollers at the dollar store and she might come across better if she used them instead.  Rich didn’t want to go to her house by himself, so he picked us up and we went down there.  He wanted me to open the gate so I did, falling on the ice and tearing my Meniscus.  I got back in the truck and we entered her property.  He sent me alone into her house…it was a little unsettling as I maneuvered through her kitchen.  I discovered she was a hoarder.  There was a pathway through her place to the living room where she was in bed with her five little dogs and Miss Piggy, all they had to eat/drink was pizza and beer.  She explained that her well was on the fritz.  Miss Piggy looked like, “Save me!” and I got her out of there!  Poor little Piggy (sweet little Pit Bull), what an adventure she had to tell about!

IMG_2594 sm.jpg

A.P. Hill
9 minutes ago, KayC said:

"I’d told her maybe it was the tampons in her hair."  

Are your serious, Kay?  Please don't tell these kind of stories while I'm drinking a cup of coffee.  Damn near spit up all over the keyboard!!!

It was a true adventure.  You should have been awarded, at the very least, a Bronze Star for heroic service in a combat zone.  Sounds like she would have been a good candidate for the TV series, "Hoarding: Buried Alive"

• Like 1

KayC
41 minutes ago, A.P. Hill said:

Sounds like she would have been a good candidate for the TV series, "Hoarding: Buried Alive"

Definitely.  She has had a hard life that accounts for her being mentally off, but I was so worried about Miss Piggy, can you imagine, her and her dogs were living on pizza and beer!  Arlie had been truly worried about Miss Piggy when we were out looking for her, we were all so glad to have her home safely.

KayC

My sister gave me a package to put under the Christmas tree.  Whenever I put up the tree, it involved moving Arlie’s recliner away from the window so I could put the tree there, but he didn’t mind giving up the spot for a month or so…he’d lay behind the couch watching all the events as I strung lights and hung ornaments.  I hung cat and dog friendly ornaments at the bottom but somehow they never bothered with them even though I tried to interest them in them.  One morning I walked in the living room and found pieces of cardstock…I looked for the culprit behind the couch and there he was, cowering, he knew he’d done wrong…and I quickly saw that the package my sister had handed me to put under the tree…contained chocolates.  A similar one had gone under the tree for my daughter so I opened it to find out how many pieces it contained so I’d know how many he ate…eleven pieces of cellophane wrapped pieces were missing. He was one sick pooch.  I called around and found a vet that would take him and away we went, over an hour away.  She was great!  She laid on the floor with him and gave him a belly rub, plied him with treats, listened to his heartbeat, got his temperature, no one had gotten so much cooperation from him!  I watched for cellophane to pass through and only found a couple of pieces, never did find out what happened to the rest.  Several days and some medicines later, he was back to normal.  My sister vowed to never buy me chocolate again.

A.P. Hill

That is such a wonderful story Kay.  It’s funny how they know instinctively that they did something wrong but just couldn’t help themselves in that moment.  Glad everything turned out OK and you found out in time to get Arlie help.

It’s hard to get upset or angry when our pets do things like this.  My house, except for two rooms, is all wood floors with a few area rugs.  Whenever Micah had to vomit, he without fail would invariably find the carpet or the rugs.  Never once did I get mad or upset about the mess I would have to clean up.   My only concern was that he may be very sick.  Instead of him following me from room to room all day, it was me who did the following all day to make sure it wasn’t something serious.

Same with Arlie.  Instead of getting upset, you knew how toxic chocolate is to dogs and sought immediate care.

• Like 1

KayC

No I didn't mind the loss of chocolate or the trip to Eugene or expense, it was totally him I was worried about.  She said it could take a year before the cellophane caused a blockage, that was the huge concern. He got very, very sick from the chocolate poisoning, but the medicine helped him recover.  Since I never did find all the wrappers and I picked up each and every one of his stools every day, I knew they had to still be in him, they don't dissolve, but they must have found an out of the way place to reside, still when you think about it, nine wrappers unaccounted for is a lot.  Good thing he was a big dog!

Shellbell22

I didn’t know you found out what caused his illness.  I so sorry.. it’s been a month and a week but feels like it’s so surreal.

You have been a good ear for me

KayC

That's not what caused his cancer. He never had problems from the wrappers.

Shellbell22

I am quitting this site.. too much money but wanted to thank you for all your support.  I am still in pain but I’m getting a little better.  All your thoughts and stories were so helpful. Thank you 

• Like 1

KayC

I'm sorry you're leaving.  Perhaps you could write to the adm. and let them know it's a hardship?

KayC

Arlie had a nice covered pen and dog house but he wanted a fenced yard of his own.  I hired a contractor to put up “Arlie’s Fence” and showed him where to put it, the gate, etc.  The first time I took Arlie out onto the front porch, no leash, he couldn’t believe it!  He ran around the fence, checking it out and sniffing the border.  He quickly caught on, he could go into the pen or out into the fence or he could chill out on the front porch, the choice was his!  He came back and gave me a kiss of thanks.  I would that I had done this years before, what a difference it made to him!  We still went on our daily walks, twice a day, every day, but he loved the freedom this afforded him! 

KayC

My son invited us up to his place, it was 2 ½ hours away so Arlie rode in the back seat of my Civic.  My DIL had a book on places to hike in their vicinity so we set out, the dogs in the back of the truck, grandkids in tote.  We got to the beginning of the trail, my son and DIL following behind, Arlie and I in the lead.  We’re near the top of the mountain when the trail began to narrow.  We reached an area where half of it had washed away and I don’t know how he did it, but Arlie was turned around on the trail.  There was no room and I was trying to help him but he was in panic mode and when he gets like that, he doesn’t even hear what I’m saying.  All of a sudden his hind feet slipped off the trail, dangling and without even thinking, the mother in me swooped out and brought his hind end back in on the trail.  My son was watching this from several feet behind me and turned every shade of white.  He said, “Next time, cut the dog loose.”  I replied, “Not on your life!  I’d go with him first!”  I was horrified to think how close a call it had been and I knew I meant it…I’d risk my own life for him…indeed I HAD!  I never wanted to take him on a trail I didn’t know from then on.

A.P. Hill
8 hours ago, KayC said:

was horrified to think how close a call it had been and I knew I meant it…I’d risk my own life for him…indeed I HAD!  I never wanted to take him on a trail I didn’t know from then on.

Kay, of course you would have.  When we pet parents say they mean more to us than life itself, it's exactly what we mean.

Warmest regards,

Steve

• Like 1

KayC

Then came the Snowpocolypse February 2019, as we came to call it.  We got 4’5” mostly overnight and it froze to 18 degrees, making it too hard to shovel.  The region was without electricity for over eight days, the highway was closed, and most of us lost our food.  My son took off work to come check on us, but had to stay the night in a neighboring town to wait for a convoy to let him through.  He shoveled snow off the roof so my mobile home wouldn’t collapse, and shoveled the driveway in front of the pickup, which had six feet of snow in front of it from the roof.  We took the truck out and when we came back, Arlie was out front!  The gate was still shut so I was puzzled…until we saw what he had done.  He climbed up a mound of snow, shoveled down from the roof, and jumped over the gate onto another mound of snow to make his great escape!  We had to quickly shovel the mounds away and get him back.  I spent days clearing away trees, limbs and debris so his front yard would be safe for him to run in again.

A.P. Hill
43 minutes ago, KayC said:

We took the truck out and when we came back, Arlie was out front!  The gate was still shut so I was puzzled…until we saw what he had done.  He climbed up a mound of snow, shoveled down from the roof, and jumped over the gate onto another mound of snow to make his great escape!  We had to quickly shovel the mounds away and get him back.  I spent days clearing away trees, limbs and debris so his front yard would be safe for him to run in again.

Kay:

That Arlie was such a resourceful little scamp!!!  I absolutely love your "Memories of Arlie".  Keep em coming.

Warmest regards,

Steve

• Like 1

KayC

This dog had so much personality, he'd become a huge part of my life, and every moment in it!  We'd wake early in the morning and I'd fix his breakfast, it took 1 1/2 hours to make it and clean up the kitchen afterwards, he'd wait patiently, he knew everything about me, knew how to read all the signs of me.  He loved cleaning out the pan, and when I fed Kitty, he waited while I dished up her food into her bowl and he'd get the empty can, which he'd take dutifully in his teeth and march off to someplace quiet and out of the way, where he'd lay down with it and lick it out.  He'd listen for the sound of his leash being picked up and he'd emerge from his hiding place, ready for our walk.  He loved our walks!  He was an explorer, he'd sniff out every spot on the street, look for every dog, he knew the ones he needed to fear and the ones he didn't have to worry about.  He looked for the goats, the sheep, the horses along the way.  He had to baptize every spot that smelled with his own scent while I waited patiently.  We weren't just out for a walk, it was an adventure, him and I together.  

KayC

When we were together in the house and he'd hear something outside, he'd check it out in his recliner by the window, and if he noticed a dog going by, he'd get so excited, making sure I knew he needed to go outside and let them know HE was there!  He'd run up the embankment, back and forth across the front fence..he didn't bark, he was quiet but excitedly doing his job.  Only if someone came on our place would he bark, giving them a good scare.  I'm pretty sure he took years off the life of the UPS, Fed Ex, and mail men.  No one would dare burglarize our place with Arlie on duty!  He took his job as my protector very seriously.  

KayC

Sometimes when I’d take Arlie out to his pen, the squirrels would be 50’ up in a tree perched above us, and throw green cones at us, hitting us in the head.  Many a time I’d hear Arlie “yike!” as they hit him in the head.  One day I came home and found a dead squirrel in his pen…he’d finally exacted his revenge.  I couldn’t fault him, they kind of had it coming for their years of torment.

KayC

I remember when my 24 year old Kitty had stored up energy and started dashing across the house, full speed.  Arlie came to, eyes alert, and took off after her, game on!  She looked alarmed and ran faster, away from him, Arlie in hot pursuit until I called him off.  He looked confused, why would I call an end to this fun game just as it began?!

• Like 1