Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dads death is hitting me hard

Bethypoo13

• Members

I lost my father last April, he had a heart attack and went into cardiac arrest. He was 49, and in better shape than anyone in my family. I am the youngest and only girl in a family of 4. So obviously I was a huge daddys girl. I got engaged right after Christmas months before and was planning my wedding for the following February. My father daughter dance was something id been dreaming of since I was a little girl, and my mom did her very best to make my day special. When I was planning my wedding my mother wasnt very involved or interested and my dad would step in between us to try and help some issues and offered to help me plan, after he passed she stepped up. My wedding was beautiful and I had decided to not do a father daughter dance because there was no point, but my 3 brothers and my mom made sure I had my dance and it was beautiful. Fast forward to 4 months later and I just found out were expecting a baby girl. Now this would be his 4th grandchild, but the other 3 got to spend quite a bit of time with him. Its just hitting me now what I'm truly going to miss, which is him with the kids. He loved them so much, and he was my nieces favorite person. I know the influence he would have had on my daughter, and thats where it hurts the most. I find myself crying a lot more after finding out the gender then I have the entire pregnancy, I dont know what to do. I've been looking for support groups in my area but that timing never matches up for me, and I honestly cannot afford a therapist, so I'm hoping this will help me. 

• Members

Dear Beth,

I am so sorry, it is so hard to be without our beloved moms and dads. I too wanted my dad to be here to see his granddaughter grow up. My one counselor told me it could take anywhere from 18 months to 10 years to process all my feelings.

Please know you can share your feelings and thoughts with us. We are all here to listen and support each other. 

I also found some of these websites helpful.

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Healing Blog

GriefShare.Org

Grief Recovery Method

Thinking of you.

Archived