Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My 17 year old Persian brother gone

Outsider626

• Members
Outsider626

Today is one of the most heartbreaking and devastating days of my life. My 17 year old Persian cat Max had to be put down to sleep. I had him since I was 12 years old. I still remember the day when we got him. I came home from school and saw my brother laying down on a couch and holding something very tiny in palm of his hand and I asked him jokingly if that was a rat in his hand? It was something that was much better. A beautiful little gray Persian kitten that become a part of our family. He was loved very much and spoiled by the whole family. There was literally 0 days during his life where I would forget to give him a few kisses. It was a daily routine for me. That's how much I loved him. There were no corners cut on him. He was given best food and treats. His favorite treat was Ecuadorian shrimps. He helped me out through college sleepless nights when I had to study for those accounting exams. He would lay on my bed next to the book and give me that positive energy that I needed to memorize everything. In the morning when I would be getting ready to go to work he would sit near the exit door and wait to wish me luck. He would sit at the same spot and be the first family member to greet me when I came home from work. After I would finish eating my dinner he loved to lick off remaining from my plate. He also loved caramel ice scream. Haagen dazs was definitely his favorite. I would always let him take off the top first. He loved to playfully fight with me everyday. I would be walking and out of nowhere he would jump on my leg from behind and than try to run away. When I caught him he loved to throw a few of those boxing left hooks. All of that will truly be missed. Unfortunately yesterday when he was walking towards me to ask to feed him, all the sudden he fell down on his left side and couldn't get up. He couldn't move his left part of the body. We took him straight to the vet and he took blood tests. He recommended us to take him home and monitor his condition. I didn't sleep the whole night and it was an emotional torture for me. Every 30 minutes or so my cat tried to get up but couldn't. I even tried to help him but still he couldn't stand on his own. He lost all his strength and would refuse to eat his favorite organic turkey. He couldn't walk to the litter and had to pee on the carpet. During the whole night he didn't sleep. His eyes were always wide open. I believe he was in shock that he couldn't walk because he was a very active cat even at 17 years old and would run laps around the house. At 8 AM in the morning I took him to the vet again to go over tests results. They were all normal for his age and said that most likely something was very serious with one of his organs internally and recommended euthanasia. After discussing for a few minutes with family we decided to put him to sleep. It was a very tough decision but we knew it would be a torture for him being paralyzed and not able to be as active as he was before. My sister was very emotional and didn't want to stay in the room with him during euthanasia but I convinced her to stay and said that Max would want us be with him during his final minute. Now it's been over 12 hours since he is not with us anymore. I still browse his recent pictures on my phone every hour and continue to cry. I feel emptiness and like a part of me died. Whole family is devastated and crying. We were talking about him whole day and my sister said that we won mega million with him. I said we won much more than that. I would never trade him for any millions and wish he would still be with us right now. Next week is my birthday but i'm thinking of not celebrating it. It will be not the same without my cat brother. I had to get this off my chest. I know that people who lost their pet family member will understand what I'm going through. Max will be remembered everyday and truly be missed. I hope he is in heaven right now and that I will meet him again one day. R.I.P Max.

20160905_013428_(1).jpg

• Moderators

I am so sorry you had to lose your cat in this way.  You made the kindest decision for him that you could, that's no way to live.  If only we could be let go when we can't function any more.  Your cat is beautiful.  I totally believe we'll be together again, and hope thoughts of this bring you comfort.

• Members
Outsider626
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry you had to lose your cat in this way.  You made the kindest decision for him that you could, that's no way to live.  If only we could be let go when we can't function any more.  Your cat is beautiful.  I totally believe we'll be together again, and hope thoughts of this bring you comfort.

Thank you!

My sister said she had a dream last night and in it Max was very young and he was with my grandmother (who also passed away many years old) in her old apartment. He was running laps around apartment as he loved to do. Than he saw a bug and started trying to catch it. When he caught it he looked at my sister and smiled. Makes me feel a little better. Maybe there is life after death for them. I believe he is happy right now and that was a sign for him. He saw how devastated we were yesterday and sent us a message not to cry and tell us that we made the right decision. 

• Moderators

I would take that as a sign that he is letting you know he is okay.

• Members

So sorry for your loss. I also lost a guinea pig yesterday, also feel an emptiness inside my mind and body. Wish you good luck with all the sweet memories with your deceased friend.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss of Max, what a beautiful cat. Remember you gave him a great life, I hope that is of some comfort. It's a very tough loss, I've been there. It won't always be this painful, the first few days are the worst. Hope you are okay. 

Archived