Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Not my dog, too!

KayC

• Moderators

Isn't it enough that I've lost my husband?!  My parents, grands, aunts & uncles, niece & nephew, many friends?  

Yesterday I found out my dog, Arlie, has cancer (posted about it in loss of pet section).  It feels like the last straw, he's been there for me the last ten years, helping me cope with the shambles of my life, giving me reason to smile, being my companion.  And now I have to lose him too???!  I just don't know how I'm going to do this.

• Members

Oh Kayc, it's just not fair.

A few weeks before Terry died, our much loved cat who idolized Terry had to be euthanized he was so sick. It was devastating.

How do we survive such losses? In the past eighteen months I have lost a son, our cat, my husband and brother in law. Previously losing another son and my mum. Now just me left of my family. The end of the line. How to keep breathing and why?

So sorry Kayc. 

• Members
foreverhis

Kay, I am so sorry to hear this is happening to both of you. Edited:  I just read your post on the Pet forum and see there is no treatment available and that things are dire.  I cannot believe that any friend would offer up any sort of judgment about this.  It sounds like any treatment would simply prolong the pain for both of you.  I have no words to express how much my heart is hurting for you right now.

Regardless, this coming loss piled on top of so many others is simply tragic.  You have suffered enough.  I think God has some explaining to do some day!  The only possible comfort I can offer is that it is my (and many ministers) firm belief that our companion animals will be there for us when our time comes.  Actually, when I could see that the time was near, I told my love it was okay and I wanted him to "go find" our wonderful furry babies.

I am sending you all the love and comfort possible, along with big, warm hugs.  I'm so sorry.  Please know we are all thinking of both you and Arlie.

• Members
John/Wendy

My prayers are with you. Saying goodbye seems to be a constant learning experience the older we get. I’m just not sure how to except the lesson! Our furry friends are sometimes the hardest. The only comforting thought is that you can end their suffering. I to always like to think that when I cross over that bridge, that not only will my human loved ones be there to greet me, but also the almost countless animals I’ve been blessed with over the years. I still have 1 dog and three cats and sometimes just the thought of leaving before them, keeps me going. All we can do is be there for them as they have been there for us. Even if it means letting them go to avoid needless pain. I pray you find strength and comfort for the days ahead.

• Members

@KayC  Im so sad for you....there are no words..thinking of you and praying for strength in the coming days. I also believe we will be reunited with all of them someday...sending hugs. Jeanne

• Members

I’m so very sorry to hear this. You are such a dear, strong person. 

• Members
Moment2moment

Kay, I am so so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and I fully get it.

I lost 2 of our dogs 5 months after the death of my partner. One was 18 years old and the other got a mouth cancer out of the blue. I was, and still am, numb and beyond words. The 18 year old had strokes and had been a shell of herself for about 3 years. The one with cancer had never had a sick day in her life. I think she went to be with Martha.

I rescued a senior a month after they passed and he died a few weeks ago. At least he had 6 months of love from me.

I am down to our last Bichon and she is 13 years old and starting to show it. I have a 4 month old puppy that I picked up running down a rural road and he us a joy and a delight,  full of love and life.

I really needed him in my life because I was starting to feel like an innkeeper of death at my house. All told, lost 7 dogs and my love in the last 8 years.

I feel i  have become desensitized to loss almost. It just keeps happening and I await my turn on the wheel of life and death. My hope is to be here until all my babies are gone.

I keep mindful of the math and know I might have one more puppy in me to go along with my 4 month old when my 13 year old passes.

I was pretty pissed at God for taking my fur babies from me after I lost my partner, but there was nothing else to do but grieve them and go out and give a wonderful home to a few more.

That is how I have dealt with my own personal pain. It hurts so bad. Each one had a long and loving relationship with me and with us.

I will never get over all this and the hope of being with all of them on the other side is the only. thing that keeps me going most days.

I am so sorry for your pup's diagnosis. Prayers for you both.

Love, Lily Bell

• Members

All this is so hard to deal with and one just has to wonder why? What's it all about Alfie? The reason for all this suffering. 

• Moderators

Thank you all for your caring responses.  I have been on my other site daily for 14 years and was surprised only the moderator and one other person commented.  I know it's hard to know what to say, there is nothing that seems to help in such a time but knowing others have been there and care, that helps.  Some of you have endured so much loss, it's hard.  I love my baby and honestly don't know how to live without him.  He is what has kept me going the past ten years.  After my George died, I lost King George (cat), Chappy (cat), Tigger (cat), Lucky (dog), Miss Mocha (cat).  My current cat is 24.  I thought Arlie would have maybe 2-3 years left in spite of his age and acute chronic Colitis.  He's seen me through so much, I owe him my life.  But I also know that finding out at this stage it's too late to give him any real meaningful time and I do not want him to suffer for my benefit.  Still trying to process this,it was a shock.  I'm not sure it's fully sunk in yet.

My son said something sweet, he said God had to give him such a big body to hold all his personality!  He has more personality than any dog I've ever met, so goofy, so smart, I love him to death...and beyond.

• Members

Dear Kay,

I am so very sorry to read this news. Just wanted to let you know, although I haven't been very active on this forum lately. But I do read your stories and to read about your dog who means so much too you, well, it's just too terrible.

Pim

• Members

So sorry to hear this, you are the "rock" that holds us together. A big hug from me to you.

• Members
On 6/7/2019 at 6:39 AM, KayC said:

Isn't it enough that I've lost my husband?!  My parents, grands, aunts & uncles, niece & nephew, many friends?  

Yesterday I found out my dog, Arlie, has cancer (posted about it in loss of pet section).  It feels like the last straw, he's been there for me the last ten years, helping me cope with the shambles of my life, giving me reason to smile, being my companion.  And now I have to lose him too???!  I just don't know how I'm going to do this.

KayC, I am so sorry. I want to send you strength and support through another difficult journey. We are here for you just like you have been here for all of us.

• Members

@KayC  I think about you and Arlie every day.  How are you doing?  I hope you are having quality time with him.  I feel so much pain for you...I wish I could be there to help and offer comfort..thinking of you and sending hugs. Jeanne

• Moderators

Learning all the more to stay in today and embrace what good there is, seems to be my motto for life these past years.

This morning Arlie had an appetite, which gladdened my heart, it's been quite a while!  He has a lot of people praying for him...

• Members

Im so sorry you have had to endure so much loss. You are such a great support here with a big open heart. We all love you. Thinking of you.

• Members

Keep strong Kay, love Arlie for the hours or days that you can. That's all that matters in reality. And, when it's time to let him go, you will because you know that he will be going to the place where George is and you will be. So be at peace. 

• Members

Hi Kay,

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but occasionally I still read other people's posts.Particularly yours.Many people have come and gone ,but you are still there to help us through our hardship.You were the first person to respond when I posted 2 years ago.Now you have to go through another loss.How painful that will be.

I quote you often in my day to day life when I talk to people about this forum: 'There is this woman called Kay, her husband died 14 years ago and she is still there for all those new grievers'.

You are a star!!

• Members

Hi Kay - checking in to see how you and Arlie are doing and sending peace and strength. I'm sharing the following note from August 27, 2018, "Sometimes the many losses of the last 1 ½ years catch up, though I’ve managed and accomplished so very much.  Missy gave me purpose to keep moving along and unconditional companionship and love for 9 years."  

Archived