Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Spiraling Out of Control

KitchyBitty

• Members
KitchyBitty

My dad's been gone a year now, and I'm now an adult orphan. I feel like I've talked this to death with friends and family, and still, I don't feel like I'm getting better. I feel like things are getting worse.  I've taken to unhealthy coping mechanisms to help deal (started smoking again, and drinking way too much). If feel like I'm spiraling out of control. It's been the worst year of my life and I don't know how to recover from it.  I made an appointment with a therapist who has evening hours, but she didn't have any openings for a month. Now I'm looking at the month ahead of me and wondering how the hell I'm going to do this.

Anyone else out there who turned into a raging alcoholic following the death of a loved one, I'd love to hear from you. There is a lot of shame in this for me. Maybe we can support each other anonymously. Thanks for reading.  

• Members

Please know it is a struggle after losing a beloved parent and feeling like an orphan. A year is too soon and it takes time. My one therapist said it could take 18 months to 10 years. It is normal to want to talk about it a million times and then another millions times because it hurts so much.

We all try in our own ways to cope. But always know there are other supports in the community and through church. I am sorry this therapist couldn't meet for one month. I hope you will consider other community supports during this difficult time.

I know its been a struggle for all of us to reach this milestone in one's life. No ever believes any of us would be adult orphans.

Please know we are with you and here to support each other.

Archived