Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Cleaning out late dad's home

Ervilles

• Members

My dad died a month back. I am planning to rent out the house. So, I need to clear it up before doing anything.
He had a huge collection of books and rare collections of paintings. I decided to keep some of his books- at least those which he has recommended, despite my limited storage space. The remaining items will be sold. But, there are some items like sofa and bed that can no longer be used. It is not repairable. Some of my friends recommended seeking help from junk removal service in Toronto
I'd like to hear how other people went about this task. Apart from things you hang onto for sentimental reasons, are there things that you actually need to hang on to for logistical or legal reasons? And how did you deal with the emotional side of the task? 

• Members

I dont know... for me it's almost a year

For me I started going through the things 2 months after, but Im still not done with them after 8 months

If I could I would keep them where they are, or somewhere. Even things like rubbish or junk. I did clear some out but I find it really tough, even clearing things that my mum used to use, like hair spray, powder etc. Sometimes i do use them a bit and I get all emotional and nostalgic. 

• Members

Hi

I lost my mum & dad within 4 weeks of each other. Being an only child I faced the task of emptying their home (which was also the home I was born into) I kept a lot of stuff, donated a lot to charity & sold some. This was all finished a year ago & I still wake up regretting certain things. Il suddenly get a wave of guilt ! Want to get something back but I can’t now because they’ve gone. I wish you the best of luck with this emotional task x

• Members

Dear Ervilles,

I am sorry for your loss. It is horribly difficult task going through our parents' possessions. I wonder if a trusted friend or family member could give you emotional support while this is happening.

I know you are under time pressure to clear up the house, but try and take your time and make sure you are keeping everything you want to remember your dad. I felt quite abandoned while taking care of my dad's belongings. I have some regret that I gave away too much. I pretty much donated everything to charity and thought this was a good way to honor my dad's memory.

For furniture that is not in good condition and then yes a junk removal company is a good start.

I would try and keep any legal papers like taxes for at least a couple of years while you settle the estate.

I hope the process can go as well as it can. Thinking of you.

Archived