Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my cat Sam to a coyote

Sams mom

• Members

This forum has been very helpful to me.  My cat Sam was killed 2 nights ago by a coyote. The water is high on the river and they have apparently moved into the neighborhood to find food.  I was warned by a neighbor who said another cat had been attacked and I knew it would be challenging to keep Sam inside.  Sam was a 100% outdoor cat when I adopted him.  My neighbor had passed away and her family just left Sam behind. He was surviving ok but I ultimately brought him home - just down the street. He slowly, over a few months, accepted his new home with me and my golden retriever. He still ruled the neighborhood, followed us on our walks and came and went at his choosing. In the hot months I had come to accept that he preferred to stay outside most of the time. He just wouldn't come in.  He was with me for 9.5 years and I loved him so. I have no idea how old he was because he had a life before me - maybe 14 - but he certainly didn't act like it. He would sleep with me - at his choosing - and cuddle - at his choosing.  

I feel horribly guilty that I did not figure out how to heed the warning. I would try to convince him to stay in and he would sometimes agree and sometimes just howl until I relented. That night I relented. 

I just feel awful. And I can't get over the feeling that I let him down. It was a gruesome way to go and I just pray he wasn't aware for long. 

This forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm just devastated

• Moderators

The last two cats that I adopted were rescues who'd been on their own, outside, and they also liked the power to choose whether to be inside our outside.  It's hard to make them an indoor cat 100% once they've been on their own.  My Miss Mocha gradually became more indoor than out but on the last day of her life, three years ago, she wanted outside and I let her out...I believe it was a cougar that got her, I was outside all day and never heard a sound, but cougars are like that, swift and take them by surprise, they go into shock and no time to yowl or react.  My only hope is that it was very quick and that shock cushioned her from any pain or fear.  I miss her so much.

I know what you are going through.  (((hugs)))

• Members
23 hours ago, Sams mom said:

This forum has been very helpful to me.  My cat Sam was killed 2 nights ago by a coyote. The water is high on the river and they have apparently moved into the neighborhood to find food.  I was warned by a neighbor who said another cat had been attacked and I knew it would be challenging to keep Sam inside.  Sam was a 100% outdoor cat when I adopted him.  My neighbor had passed away and her family just left Sam behind. He was surviving ok but I ultimately brought him home - just down the street. He slowly, over a few months, accepted his new home with me and my golden retriever. He still ruled the neighborhood, followed us on our walks and came and went at his choosing. In the hot months I had come to accept that he preferred to stay outside most of the time. He just wouldn't come in.  He was with me for 9.5 years and I loved him so. I have no idea how old he was because he had a life before me - maybe 14 - but he certainly didn't act like it. He would sleep with me - at his choosing - and cuddle - at his choosing.  

I feel horribly guilty that I did not figure out how to heed the warning. I would try to convince him to stay in and he would sometimes agree and sometimes just howl until I relented. That night I relented. 

I just feel awful. And I can't get over the feeling that I let him down. It was a gruesome way to go and I just pray he wasn't aware for long. 

This forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm just devastated

I am very sorry for your loss. I know you feel terrible, but you were doing the right thing by allowing Sam to be free and do as he wished outside. He wanted to be outside to do all the things cats like to do out there. I say you gave him a very happy 9.5 years of life by allowing him to be free. To be Sam! My dear Lady G. was an outside cat, but she liked coming inside often, especially at night. I worried nearly to death about her when she was outside, but she loved it out there. She would sleep inside with me nearly every night, but only for a few hours at a time. And if I didn't let her out when she wanted to go, she wouldn't hush until I did so. She had such a strong desire to be outside, so I didn't want to keep that from her, even though I worried about her out there. 

Wishing you the very best.

31 minutes ago, KayC said:

The last two cats that I adopted were rescues who'd been on their own, outside, and they also liked the power to choose whether to be inside our outside.  It's hard to make them an indoor cat 100% once they've been on their own.  My Miss Mocha gradually became more indoor than out but on the last day of her life, three years ago, she wanted outside and I let her out...I believe it was a cougar that got her, I was outside all day and never heard a sound, but cougars are like that, swift and take them by surprise, they go into shock and no time to yowl or react.  My only hope is that it was very quick and that shock cushioned her from any pain or fear.  I miss her so much.

I know what you are going through.  (((hugs)))

I saw you sweet Mocha's picture, KayC, and she is beautiful! 

• Members

Thank you @+Jeffrey+  I so appreciate your words.  I am surprised by how much I need to here that right now - over and over.  Interestingly, my neighbors, who all knew Sam and are upset by this too, have helped me calculate how old he was.  He was a neighbors cat before he was mine and when she died I took him in.  They think he was at least 17 years old!  which amazes me because he certainly didn't act like it and I didn't think of him as that old.  Somehow this gives me some comfort too even though the ending was terrible.

• Members

Dear Sam's Mom,

I'm so sorry you had to experience this. About ten years ago, we lost our cat Sassy to a coyote. She too was an outdoor kitty who loved her freedom and hunting for mice. We live on a farm and no matter how much I try to be a good and responsible pet parent, I can only do so much. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Sam knows you loved him and he isn't mad at you. Hugs ❤️

• Members

Thank you for your kind words. I'm trying not to beat myself up. Mostly now I just miss him. He should be coming in the door for dinner about now. 

• Members

I know. I understand how much it hurts. I recently lost my best friend Socks the Cat. He passed away in my arms on Thursday March 14 at our home. He would have been almost 16 years old. Some days are better than others. I would give anything to have him back. I miss his company so much. Please share with us anytime. 

• Members

I'm so sorry to read of your loss. It's a fact of life for outdoor cats but it was so nice you were able to give him a home and take him in. I hope you are doing okay, I know how awful the early days are of this loss, I promise it will get better.

Archived