Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of mum 10 years ago

Peter Fewkes

• Members
Peter Fewkes

I lost my mum 10 years ago (in July) and I still don't think I have grieved properly. Both my older brother and dad managed to grieve immediately after her death however I remained the strong one and held things together so I could support them. This was not my choice, it just seemed to happen. Unfortunately by doing this my body reacted in a dramatic way and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis which I will now have for the rest of my life. My current job is very stressful and combined with what I believe is not grieving properly it has flared up again. I haven't spoken to anyone about this but feel it's time to do so. 

• Members

Dear Peter,

Please know there is no right way or wrong way to grieve and there is no fixed timeline. If you want to maybe consider talking to a grief counsellor or going to grief counselling.

I also found these websites helpful in coping with my grief:

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Share

Grief Healing Blog

Grief Recovery Method

Archived