Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Positive Change

TAM1

• Members
I took the last two days off to gather myself and look for a new place to live.  Just found out this morning I've been accepted for a one-bedroom at 3555 Hilltop Drive in Ventura, just above Foothill Road.  It's perfect for me and is $1600 per month, trash and water included; so I'll put my notice in here Monday, May 13th as my lease ends June 13th - giving me time to prepare.  I've been paying $2400 per month here and the rent was slated to go up 6-9% - so I'll be saving, which from an earlier time people rented apartments to save in order to buy a home.  I grew up living a street below from this new place on Foothill Road, so at almost 63, I have not gone far away.  I'll sign the papers today and will move in early June.

Such a vast change from almost 28 months ago.  Just one of the many "beginnings" during this journey.

• Members

@TAM1  I am so glad something positive has happened for you..thats a big difference in rent, Im sure will help in many ways. Will be especially nice to live close to where you grew up...so that will be a comfort zone for you also. Nice for you to have some good news in your life for a change. Thinking of you. Jeanne

• Members
foreverhis

Thank you for sharing this with us.  It's been a tough week for me emotionally and reading your uplifting post made me smile. 

I guess in some ways we can go home again.  You'll be surrounded by the familiar, which is not a bad thing at our age.  That you'll be saving a significant amount of money each month is wonderful!

I know how hard change can be, but maybe this will end up being a good one for you.  I hope so.

• Moderators
On 5/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, TAM1 said:
I took the last two days off to gather myself and look for a new place to live.  Just found out this morning I've been accepted for a one-bedroom at 3555 Hilltop Drive in Ventura, just above Foothill Road.  It's perfect for me and is $1600 per month, trash and water included; so I'll put my notice in here Monday, May 13th as my lease ends June 13th - giving me time to prepare.  I've been paying $2400 per month here and the rent was slated to go up 6-9% - so I'll be saving, which from an earlier time people rented apartments to save in order to buy a home.  I grew up living a street below from this new place on Foothill Road, so at almost 63, I have not gone far away.  I'll sign the papers today and will move in early June.

Such a vast change from almost 28 months ago.  Just one of the many "beginnings" during this journey.

Wow, I don't even get that much per month, I never knew how people could do such high rents but I know the economy is different there than here, I am VERY relieved for you that you found such a good place and will even get to save some money!  Congratulations and I hope the move goes smoothly!

• Members

Hi KayC - the last two years paying the rent has been a long, losing event and i just sucked it up and hit my savings.  It's just beginning to set in that this is real and I signed the new lease today, paid the deposit and gave 30-days notice on my current place by email but will drop the original off after work this evening. This was all unexpected as I had contacted a local property management company three weeks ago and told them about myself and what I was looking for, and they contacted me last Thursday, showed me the place Friday and approved me Friday, just in time to put in the 30-day notice as my current lease ends June 13th. 

And i know Missy's spirit will be going with me, and i told her that.  

Time for deep breath.   

• Moderators

It sounds like things are falling into place, maybe someone had a hand in it?  I wish you well...

• Members

I believe so.  There are a few issues with regard to ending my lease as I thought the end date was June 13th and it is July 13th.  How I did that i have no idea and I wrote formal request asking the property management to accept my 30-day notice one-month early, which was denied last night.  So, as usual, i'm kicking the request up a level because having some chirpy young girl give me a flat denial does not set well with me.  For this move there are none of the very supportive people who were there back in July 2017 and it feels very different, especially without Missy. So, I'd like Colony Parc Apartments to step back or forward and I've outlined good reasoning for my request.  Ms. Chirpy sent me an email telling me I would have to pay the estimated $2400 for June rent and another $970 for July 1st through 13th.   I need to calm down because I've felt a sort of fear and panic set in. 

I've also cocooned myself in my present living space the last few years and it's time to move on.   

• Members
Billie Rae

Tami,to cheer you on,I just moved from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment and I'm so happy I did.I absolutely love my new space and my new neighbors,tomorrow will be month 4 without my Charlie,and I hurt but separating from"our"space to my space has allowed me to focus on fixing it up to what I love and some relief from the constant weeping from seeing his things all over the house.I have placed some memories in my new home but am not constantly bombarded with the physical reminders at each turn.
Hope your old apartment will play fair,after all in grief you just forgot,if they don't understand they are heartless.
Good luck love.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Grieving.com mobile app

• Moderators

TAM1,

When I was married to my kids' dad, who was Italian, we used to joke, "You want I should send Guido to pay him a visit?!"  Of course. we didn't know any Mafia, but I feel like in your case we should be signing a petition or protesting on your behalf!  Grr!  You've been a good tenant, it'd be nice if they'd be human and let you out of the lease.  I don't suppose there's anyone who'd want to take over the lease?

I'm so sorry.

• Members

KayC,

They pro-rated the rent from 6/1/19 through 6/13/19 to $1,009.23 due June 1st.  There is also an early lease termination fee of $2,329.00 due June 13th.  I will move out on June 6th with movers coming in the morning (2 men for 3 hours for $400) and have AT&T come out that afternoon. My first month's rent at the new place ($1600) is due June 1st and I paid the $1600 deposit on Monday.  I'm going to back away from this for a few days before switching gas, electric and AT&T to the new place and doing the change of address. All of this home hunting, trying to negotiate with people who don't, has taken a lot out of me.  It all hit me last night and I cried for hours and I could probably do that tonight also. The big stuff is done and moving along.

• Moderators

You have accomplished a lot.  I'd pay them what they say is due by the month, they're lucky to get it at all.  I'm so sorry they're not being reasonable or compassionate.  I think everything changed when rental changed from Ma and Pa owners to conglomerates.  There' no heart anymore.

Archived