Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Father - not my biological Father, and Anger

Lety

• Members

My Father (figure) was not biological Father, but legally he was. I always knew it. I thought that I would not have any feelings once he passed, because he has not been in my life for so long, and growing up he was not available, he just provided the minimum for us, food and a roof over our heads. I have 2 brothers his boys, but even with them he was not available in so many areas. I was the one that had to sign the documents for the decisions one of my brothers and I made about the end of his life, because my other brother was not /did not want to be involved, he said he'd leave it up to us. I was also the one that received the news of his passing from his Dr. 

Now all of these feeling/emotions from my time growing up with him are coming back. It's been a tornado of emotions. I don't want to feel this way. I need to let go!

• Members

Dear Lety,

Please know your feelings are normal. The passing of a parental figure can bring up many different emotions and they are all valid. Its very hard. Please let yourself feel whatever you feel without any judgement. If you want to maybe consider talking to a counsellor or joining a support group. Many people will understand and be able to give you additional support.

I also found these websites helpful in coping with my grief.

Grief Healing Blog

Tiny Buddha

Grief in Common

What's Your Grief.

Thinking of you.

Archived