Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

We miss you Cosmo

AndrewC

• Members

I can’t stop crying over the loss of my dog Cosmo. I got him as a puppy in 2013 and he has been by me and my siblings side ever since. He was a pit bull/husky mix with one blue eye. He was so well behaved, he didn’t bark or growl and he loved to be around people. We would have so much fun going hiking at the Austin greenbelt trails and every moment he was with us. 

A few days ago he snuck out of the backyard gate. We drove to look for him and to my sheer horror saw him dead in the grass on the side of the road. I went hysterical and ran out to him and was rubbing him crying “Cosmo wake up.. Cosmo!!” He clearly had a broken neck and there was no heartbeat or breathing. I was sobbing on him in disbelief and denial.. Cosmo can’t be dead.

My brother and I drove him to the house we lived at when we got Cosmo back in 2013 near Pflugerville Lake. It was dark and we shoveled a grave as deep as we could under a tree right by the water. We were crying and saying “Goodbye Cosmo, we love you” over and over as we put the dirt over him. The saddest day of my life. 

I’ve never had any living thing so close to me die before. How do you cope with the pain and sorrow?? Every time I glance at his leash still hanging up or his food or anything I burst into tears. Ughh this sucks so bad. Why why why  

Rest In Peace Cosmo buddy we love you so much. 

-Andrew

This forum won’t let me attach any photo but this one. To see more pictures of Cosmo go to https://share.icloud.com/photos/0TkfyOZc4BeIeM0A6KuEeVbvg

DE811BB9-D886-4E6C-AD33-1A1C82FE2448.jpeg

7F340166-72D5-4878-9A85-BE50B3C5A92C.jpeg

• Moderators

What a very unique dog, I've never seen another like him!  My dog is Husky/Golden Retriever, haven't seen another like him either.  It's interesting how the combinations turn out!

I'm so sorry for your loss, it must have been a huge shock.  :(  My guess would be he died instantly and didn't know what hit him.  It's my personal belief in afterlife, not just for people, but for animals too, and that his spirit continues.  Someone made this video, their idea of how it might be, and it's brought comfort to many, I hope it does to you also.  They indelibly etch themselves into our lives and hearts, never to be forgotten, but we continue to treasure the memories of each moment we had with them.

• Members

I agree, KayC - I definitely believe their spirits continue and we meet them again. I am deeply sorry for your loss, Andrew. It is absolutely most likely he was never in pain and was happily exploring. And you gave him the best you possibly could. What a precious angel. 

• Members

@AndrewC I am so so sorry to read what happened to Cosmo. What a sweetie and what a tragedy. My heart breaks for you and I know yours is broken.

I lost my cat suddenly when he got violently ill. So, how do we deal with it? I won't lie. It's a day by day struggle, sometimes hour by hour and you eventually learn to live with what happened but the crack (though healed) in your heart remains. But you will be okay and the pain does subside. For now though, I wish I could say something super profound to make this time easier. There is no shortcut. You gave Cosmo a wonderful life and I promise that in time that last day, which may haunt you now, will be replaced by all the many many wonderful day s you had with him. 

Archived