Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Overwhelming Grief

catawampus

• Members

I know it's been tough, but hoping today was a little better for you, bud. Hang in there.

• Members

Hi Jeffery,

I'm okay. Night time is the worst because Socks the Cat would snuggle beside me. I swore he was licking the side of my cheek the other night and I woke up laughing and then I started to cry. He used to wake me up by licking my cheek or my hand when he wanted something. How are you?

• Members
3 hours ago, Shemoore said:

Hi Jeffery,

I'm okay. Night time is the worst because Socks the Cat would snuggle beside me. I swore he was licking the side of my cheek the other night and I woke up laughing and then I started to cry. He used to wake me up by licking my cheek or my hand when he wanted something. How are you?

Hi there, great to hear you're doing okay. I guess I'm a little better, or at least not getting upset as much. My heart still aches for Lady G., of course. I'm constantly thinking of her, and will do so for the rest of my life. She was a little angel to me. :(

Lady G. would always come in and lay with me at night, and I looked forward to it. When she was inside with me at night, I knew she was safe, and that allowed me to rest a little better. She loved to get right up near my face and lay. She would often lay right against me and scoot herself just as close as she could get. She also liked to lay on my chest when I was laying on my back. One time she was laying on my chest right up to my chin, and decided to lick it. I had my eyes closed at the time, pretending to be asleep, and as soon as she licked my chin, she jumped back and hissed. I thought, what in the world is wrong with her. Then I realized the sharp stubble of hairs on my recently shaved chin, had hurt her tongue when she licked it! :laugh: She never tried to lick my chin again, but would still lay right up near my face a lot. Gosh, I miss her so much.

Hope you continue to be well. Hang in there.

• Members

Thank you apmy41, KayC and Jeffrey for checking back in with me. Thankfully today was a little bit better, although I know there are probably tough times ahead, as grief is anything but a straight line. But I'm grateful for the moments when my heart feels lighter, if only slightly.

I'm also so very thankful to find solace in the shared wisdom and insight that spring from the common sadness we all share. Every thoughtful reply helps get me through the stillness and quiet of my days. I hope in time and with greater perspective I'll be able to offer the same comfort to others.

Thank you both so much.

• Moderators

I like how you said (in another thread) how you'll take the things you learned through Biscuit with you, patience, enjoying today instead of looking for it in a future time.

• Members

Hi,

Thank you. Some days are better than others. I own my own business so, at least I'm able to hide my tears. Honestly, each day just feels odd right now. I miss Socks. I still talk to him and I hope he can hear me. How are you?

• Members

Seems to be coming in waves for me. Odd is a great way to describe it, too. For what it’s worth, I do the same thing and I’m pretty certain they can. 

• Members

Hi Apmy, I'm doing okay. How are you doing? Better I hope.

Sorry I haven't been around much but it seems the only way I'm able to get through my day is to just not think about my boy. That's good and bad. I don't want to stop thinking about him but whenever I do I just get too sad to be productive. This is what I had such anxiety about over the last few weeks, the idea that he would no longer be on my mind every second of the day, that he would become more of a memory that I have to push to the back of my mind in order to move forward. Today I was cleaning and came across his sub-q bags and rather than throw them away I hugged them and cried. The tears aren't as intense but the sadness remains. Today was 3 weeks since he died. It feels like an eternity. Just hard to believe.

Thanks for checking on me. I do hope you're doing better these days.

• Moderators

Sometimes it helps to set aside a bit of time every day to think about them and grieve...then shove it aside the rest of the time so you can function, that way it metes it out in doses.  It's painful, I know.

• Members

Hi Kay C,

Thank you so much for sharing. It's been one month now since Socks has left his fur suit. It just hurts today.  Some days our better than others. I'm trying. I would really like to write a book about Socks the Cat and all the lives he touched as a Therapy Cat but I don't know where to start. I'm not doing it for money. I think his interesting life would be an inspiration to others.

Shemoore

• Members

I'm here for you. You can leave a message for me here or on my messenger Sherri Moore anytime. Hugs❤️

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Shemoore said:

I would really like to write a book about Socks the Cat and all the lives he touched as a Therapy Cat but I don't know where to start.

Someone did that on my other forum years ago, we looked forward to the new chapters...he started a thread to write a story per chapter about his dog and we all loved it!  Maybe if you did something like that it would get it out and you could put it all together and do a book when you're ready?

• Members

I think I'm going to write a book. Socks the Cat touched so many lives and I know I have enough material to write about.

• Moderators

I hope you try it out on us!  Let us know either way, we're interested!

• Members

Thank you. I will read it and yes, I will keep all of you updated with my book writing idea.

• Members
On 4/14/2019 at 2:13 AM, catawampus said:

Hi Apmy, I'm doing okay. How are you doing? Better I hope.

Sorry I haven't been around much but it seems the only way I'm able to get through my day is to just not think about my boy. That's good and bad. I don't want to stop thinking about him but whenever I do I just get too sad to be productive. This is what I had such anxiety about over the last few weeks, the idea that he would no longer be on my mind every second of the day, that he would become more of a memory that I have to push to the back of my mind in order to move forward. Today I was cleaning and came across his sub-q bags and rather than throw them away I hugged them and cried. The tears aren't as intense but the sadness remains. Today was 3 weeks since he died. It feels like an eternity. Just hard to believe.

Thanks for checking on me. I do hope you're doing better these days.

At least a little better...just still taking it day by day. Still seems surreal most days. I’m 100% on the same page as far as the idea of them becoming a memory...that’s a tough thought and I definitely relate. It’s difficult to wrap your mind around it; I guess it just takes time. I’ve had similar things to come out of nowhere, like receiving cremation certificate in the mail and not being ready and the flood of emotion it causes. I think the best we can do is to continue to remind ourselves that they are very aware of how much we love and miss them. Time really does help, and just remembering that they’re irreplaceable and being thankful for the memories we do have. I’m glad you checked in...take your time and check in as you feel 

• Members
On 4/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, Shemoore said:

Hi Kay C,

Thank you so much for sharing. It's been one month now since Socks has left his fur suit. It just hurts today.  Some days our better than others. I'm trying. I would really like to write a book about Socks the Cat and all the lives he touched as a Therapy Cat but I don't know where to start. I'm not doing it for money. I think his interesting life would be an inspiration to others.

Shemoore

I am so sorry for your loss...I know his mark on lives as a therapy cat is indelible. I would love to read stories about Socks! I’ve thought about writing a bit about my angel, but just haven’t found the strength quite yet. Take your time and we’ll be here when you decide! 

Archived