Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My best friend Nicki

joe

• Members

I just lost my cat Nicki on Wed, she died of heart failure. She was just to the vet a few months ago and all was well. I came home that night and only one of my 2 cats greeted me at the door like they have for the past 7 years, only thing Nicki was not at the door I called out her name with no reply I walked into the bedroom seen her on the floor not moving I called to her no movement then when I bent down I realized she was gone I am so heart broken. Nicki would follow me around the house just like a dog we would sit together. Her having her paw on me I miss the look in eyes when we looked at each other both knowing we loved each other very much. I can't stop crying about it. I knew some day this would happen but not this way. I have never new a cat could die of hearth failure The vet said yes it is common.  Does any one know how to get over this loss or how long does it take. My wife told me that I have a distant look in my eyes. I miss you and love you Nicki I hope and pray we will be together some day.

• Members

I am sorry for your loss.  It is terribly hard to lose a member of your family.

i understand the crying.  It has been 4 months for me.  The first 6 weeks were a blur for me but it softens a bit with time.

there is no timetable for grieving and healing.  Your love for her will never fade and all this is what makes loving our fur babies so hard when they leave us.

I found chatting here incredibly helpful because you will be surrounded by care and kindness.

Sending you a big hug and I hope your other baby is doing ok.  My little boy continues to mourn for his sister and now needs attention all the time

dee

• Members

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Her sister who was not so dependent. Now does not leave me when I’m sitting on the couch or in bed.  I know she feels the loss of her sister she keeps looking for her. Like you said it will take time   But I miss my best friend Nicki thanks again

• Moderators

Dee is right, we all have our own timetable.  I am so sorry for your loss, I've had my own share of losses, it's very hard.  We go through a process, at first it hits us, like we're in shock, it's hard to fathom how they can be here one minute and then not the next.  It takes time to adjust to the changes it means for our lives.  We continue to miss them even when years go by but eventually thoughts of them change from tears to a smile as we remember things about them, along with the empty hole in our heart that pains us because they're gone.  We learn to live with our grief but it becomes a little softer in time.  I hope that makes sense.

• Members

Oh no how shocking. I am so so sorry for your loss. I'd never heard of that myself. :( I had a very sudden loss of my cat too - it takes a lot of time, day by day to slowly recover from such a sudden loss. 

• Members

Hi AJ. Thank you for the reply.  Yes it was shocking as you know it’s only been 4 days and at times it feels like the first day. Thank you for the encouraging words. Like they say time heals all wounds. 

Archived