Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My cat Sherlock is dying. And inside, I'm dying too.

bambina

• Members

My cat Sherlock who I love so so much started going downhill a few days ago. I took him to the vet and he had a fever so we thought perhaps that's why he wasn't eating. But he's still not eating, is losing weight, and is very lethargic. He's only 7 and 1/2 years old, but I'm very fearful his kidneys are shutting down (I've seen the symptoms one time too many, as I do informal rescue) I'm in a state of shock and grief, as I did not see this coming. He seemed healthy just a  week ago, and with a good appetite. I've had so much loss this past year (boyfriend, Lexi, my little dog who I babysat and who was killed by my rescue dog back in Nov, countless outdoor cats who were killed or had to be euthanized), so I'm just shell shocked. Depression is something I've been struggling with every day since Lola died. ANd now my beloved Sherlock is languishing.  I've felt so lonely and isolated. the last few months and not the prospect of losing Sherlock is making me physically ill. I'm here at work getting ready to teach my last class and it's just almost impossible to concentrate. I just want to be with Sherlock. Tomorrow he will go back to the vet (third trip in less than a week) and get blood results. Just dreading this but I have no choice. If he is indeed dying, I cannot let him suffer any longer. He's been my baby boy since he was just a tiny kitten. THis is so so hard. Please pray for me. I feel so lost, like I"ve come to the end of the road in my life.

• Members

bambina, I am truly sorry for all you've been through in such a short amount of time. And I do feel your pain.

Wishing you, and your beloved little friend, all the best. You're certainly in my prayers. 

• Moderators

Bambina,

I remember your other posts, all that you've been through already, and that you should once again be going through this, it just seems outrageously unfair!  I am so sorry.  I didn't realize yiou did rescue.  Your cat is so young, you would not expect this so soon.  You have my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

It's so awful, I could hardly bear it when Felix was ill. I just had no idea it was possible to feel so bad. I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope Sherlock is okay.

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
On 2/20/2019 at 8:26 PM, bambina said:

My cat Sherlock who I love so so much started going downhill a few days ago. I took him to the vet and he had a fever so we thought perhaps that's why he wasn't eating. But he's still not eating, is losing weight, and is very lethargic. He's only 7 and 1/2 years old, but I'm very fearful his kidneys are shutting down (I've seen the symptoms one time too many, as I do informal rescue) I'm in a state of shock and grief, as I did not see this coming. He seemed healthy just a  week ago, and with a good appetite. I've had so much loss this past year (boyfriend, Lexi, my little dog who I babysat and who was killed by my rescue dog back in Nov, countless outdoor cats who were killed or had to be euthanized), so I'm just shell shocked. Depression is something I've been struggling with every day since Lola died. ANd now my beloved Sherlock is languishing.  I've felt so lonely and isolated. the last few months and not the prospect of losing Sherlock is making me physically ill. I'm here at work getting ready to teach my last class and it's just almost impossible to concentrate. I just want to be with Sherlock. Tomorrow he will go back to the vet (third trip in less than a week) and get blood results. Just dreading this but I have no choice. If he is indeed dying, I cannot let him suffer any longer. He's been my baby boy since he was just a tiny kitten. THis is so so hard. Please pray for me. I feel so lost, like I"ve come to the end of the road in my life.

Sometimes i read posts here and cannot wonder why certain things happen to certain people. After reading your post I began to wonder again. They say God doesnt give us more than we can bear. I know it seems like your world has completely crashed and fell apart. It Hasn't. You have people hear who legitimately care about you and your situation. Yes, Ill pray for you. Ill pray for your cat as well. I dont know why some suffer more than others. When Savannah passed away last Nov i felt the same way you do and then some. As time passes you will heal both spiritually and physically. I pray for your cat and that it works itself out in a most positive way for you. We'll pray and hope for the best for you. Always know though you have people here that are willing to listen, and help as best they can.

God Bless Jim

• Moderators
14 hours ago, So sad But Yet So Happy said:

They say God doesnt give us more than we can bear.

This came up in another post...one of the most misquoted verses of the bible...it's speaking on temptation, not hardships.  If we didn't have more than we felt we could bear, why do some commit suicide?  He does go through things with us though.  When my husband died, I felt God was a million miles away.  About a year later I realized He had been with me all the time, at times carrying me...it's just this grief seems to obliterate everything else!

It's so important to hang in there through the hard times, just taking one day at a time (or less as needed).  Give our circumstances a chance to better.  I know we don't get our loved ones back, but life can get better in general...and we do have the hope of that reunion day when we'll all be together again.

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

• Members

My heart breaks for you now with Sherlock. I am so sorry. It has been a very trying time. You have loved so many things and lost many in a short period of time. I wish I could offer you something more. Life can be really really up and down. You've had your share and it does not feel fair. Try to get as much support as you can rather than isolating even if it is online, come here often. 

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

KayC  I mean no disrespect here but I know what that scripture means. No id didnt misquote that scripture. I meant it to the original poster as a comforting scripture rather than temptation.

• Members

Bambina i now how you feel I had a dog with the same thing she was fine one day the next she wouldnt eat or drink so I waited 3 days to see if it was a bug or some think but she just wouldn't eat so I took her to the vets i found out she had somthink wrong with her kidneys at first the vet thought it was a infection and gave me some antibiotics to give her but she just wouldn't get better all she was doing is sleeping i took her back to the vets and found out she had kidney failure i had to make a decision either let her suffer or put her to sleep i picked the second one it's only been a day i can't stop crying about it and I'm wondering if I will ever get over it i just hope your cat gets better 

• Members

thank you all so much for your kind replies. Sherlock was euthanized the next day on Feb 22. I miss my little boy but at least he isn't suffering anymore.  Again bless all of you for your support and kindness :)

• Members
Felix's maw

Bambina,

I'm sorry to hear that, it's so hard to let them go. But as you say, your lovely boy isn't suffering any more. But you will miss him for a long time. Best wishes

• Moderators

Bambina,

I am so sorry, I know it's hard.  I echo what Felix's maw wrote.

Archived