Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Had to put my cat to sleep - I'm devastated

Suzy1981

• Members

Hi, my husband and I put our beloved cat to sleep on Friday, we found that morning that she had a severe type of cancer in the bone marrow & was severely anemic.

we have spent the entire weekend crying as we are in so much pain, the house feels empty without her, even though her sister is living in the house.

has anyone been through something similar? We are heartbroken, it was such a shock as she seemed well a few weeks ago xx

• Moderators

I lost a cat to cancer too, although I had him put to sleep when I found out because he was suffering so much, the first vet told me it was a cold and prescribed antibiotics, which did nothing, then renewed the Rx.  He suffered needlessly that last month and that ate at me.

I am so sorry for your loss, it's the hardest thing in the world to lose our furry family members, my heart goes out to you.

• Members

Similar thing happened, our vet thought she had flu & prescribed antibiotics. I took her back a second time & they still thought she had flu until they did blood tests.

im so sorry for your loss, it's beyond heartbreaking, people don't understand until it happens to them. Big hugs xxx

• Members

My favorite cat, my soulmate cat, started behaving strangely on Saturday at dinner time - she was hiding under furniture, wasn't racing down the hall to get her food, didn't want to eat. I noticed a pile of vomit in her litter box that had foam and was all yellow, from bile, so I rushed her into the emergency vet, worried that she had eaten a spider or some other insect or worse, had gotten into a mouse that had been poisoned - we had a few mice in the house at the end of last year and she managed to get a couple of them but I haven't seen any more lately but I wasn't sure that one hadn't escaped somewhere. The people two doors down use rat poison to take care of the rat problem in their yard - maybe if they cleaned it up, took out their trash, didn't have 30 people (really) living in their house, have construction materials piled all over the yard and picked up their dogs' poop they wouldn't have rats...

The emergency vet did blood tests and sonogram/xrays (as I knew they would.) the blood work came back ok but her blood sugar level was at 394 - that's four times normal for a cat - and she was a small cat, a midget, only about 8 pounds. The vet diagnosed her with diabetes, which is very manageable - we had a dog that lived with diabetes for three years so hearing that didn't distress me. I left her there overnight for observation and fluids and to make sure that they were getting her sugar level balanced. I gave her five kisses on the top of her head - she had a cone on to keep her from pulling out the IV lines in her paw - and she was squirming and squeaking - she never learned how to meow - and being sassy and bratty - she hated to be held - so I left thinking she was doing great and that I would pick her up in the morning.

The vet called at 5:25 am and Miska had passed. The tech had checked on her at 4 and she was fine - everything was normal. She went back at 5 and Miska was non responsive - they performed CPR but she was already gone.

I am just devastated and shocked and in disbelief. To think that Sunday morning she was running across me on the bed, sitting at the back door watching the ravens and squirrels and birds, laying in her spot in the sun on the carpet and blocking the dogs and me from going in and out of the bedroom, cleaning herself and I could see her in the reflection in the sliding glass door, being her usual sassy, bratty self, full of her little antics... and now she is just gone. 

My husband Bob passed away on October 4 after a 2 1/2 year battle with prostate cancer. He did really well until about the last two months and then he declined very quickly. We had to have our oldest dog, Bella put to sleep in June due to gran mal seizures as a result of her diabetes. Our oldest cat, Juba, went in her sleep two days after Bob passed away - she was his cat and I know that she just wanted to be with him. But that is four of my family that I have lost in 8 months and I just don't know how much more I can take. It is not true that God never gives you more than you can handle or that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - I cannot handle this, I am about ready to keel over myself from exhaustion and heartbreak and I just want this pain to end. I found out last Sunday that my dog Marysol has a tumor on her spleen and have a consultation tomorrow for surgery and how to proceed. I am praying that it is not cancer - if it is, she will have 3 - 6 months at the very most to live. I have lost two other dogs to this same form of cancer and it is horrible. I had planned a Celebration of Life for Bob's 72nd birthday on Saturday, February 23 in Mexico - I was supposed to fly down on the 15th but had to postpone my flight to the 21st - I am supposed to fly in Thursday, be there Friday for a memorial service (religious) and Saturday for the Celebration and then I fly out Sunday, but if Marysol has to have surgery before next week, then I am going to cancel the entire thing. But I have about 10 friends that are flying in from different parts of the country and Canada to be there for this and they have already spent the airfare and made hotel reservations and it is one of the most expensive times to stay down there because of President's Day. 

I just do not know how much more I am expected to take or how much more I can handle. 

• Members

Oh my goodness Sunshine 247 that is a whole lot of grief and pain for one lifetime.  I am so sorry to hear about Miska and can understand your devastation.  Just the suddeness of it all is heartbreaking, and now Marysol.  I can understand what a dilema you now have with his operation and wanting to be there for him.  I was wondering what I would do in your situation.  I know it would be hard (understatement) but would someone else be able to stand in your place for you so you could attend the celebration of Bobs life. Someone who could be there for Marysol.  You are going to feel awful if you can't make the celebrations. Or maybe you can delay the operation until your return.  See the vet tomorrow and see if it's possible.  Hang on in there maybe things will sort themselves out.  You have been through so much and its all too much. Tomorrow is another day and things might fall into place.   I did read some of your previous post and now have more of a understanding just exactly what you have been through.  Thinking of you.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Sunshine247 said:

It is not true that God never gives you more than you can handle or that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - I cannot handle this

Oh Sunshine, I am so sorry!  And no that quote is not true...they get it from a verse about temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13) but it has nothing to do with other things in life.  Sometimes I feel about at wit's end.  Losing that many in such a short time is really hard, I went through that when my husband died and our animals kept going, one after another.  I had gotten another cat after he died and he died within two years, on top of the other animals I'd already lost and I remember crying out, "Can't I have ANYTHING?!"

Please let us know how Marysol is after you see the vet.  I hope you do not have to cancel Bob's celebration of life.  No more losses!  Thinking of you and sending prayers your way.

• Members

@Suzy1981 - I lost my cat a year and half ago, not the same way. But when you say similar - what we all have is a tremendous sadness and profound grief in common. No matter how the end finally came. Suddenly or slowly. The pain is awful when they are not with us. I am so sorry for your loss of sweet kitty. My husband and I felt like we lost our child (since we don't have kids.) We cried and cried. So I know where you are now. Hope you are okay. It takes time to accept. :( 

Archived