Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do I find happiness again?

LindaC2019

• Members

Yesterday my little Heidi was knocked down and killed in front of my house. She was only about 4 years old. She was my first foster cat and was rescued starving and emaciated. I just couldn't let her go, so I kept her with my 5 other cats. She only had 2.5 years of happiness with me. It seems so unfair. I lost my dad 10 days before and I was just managing to deal with everything, looking forward to a new life with my pussycat family. Now I can't imagine ever being happy again. She was supposed to grow old with me. She was supposed to be there for me when I lose the others, who are all much older. What do I do now? I just want to be happy. Is that too much to ask? 

FB_IMG_1548183579137.jpg

• Moderators

Oh Hon, I remember asking the same thing...I'd lost my sweet husband when he had just turned 51, hadn't expected it at all, and then little by little, I lost all of our animals.  I got a new cat, Chappy, he slept with me, and then he too was gone.  I remember crying out, "can't I keep anything?"  It's hard, it seems we love, only to lose...and now I'm facing it again with two more animals, a cat who is nearly 24 and a dog nearly 11 and I know I haven't long with either.

It's hard enough reaching the end of their lives, but to go through this with such a young cat, when you least expect it, such as my Chappy, and your Heidi, that's hard to reconcile.  I only know, I will always have an animal to love because I can't imagine life any other way.  We love them because they exist and we grow to love everything about them.

To you and to all of the others here who have lost someone wonderful...it is my belief we will be with them again.

• Members

Oh, you've been through so much. I'm so sorry for all of your losses. Losing your husband do young must have vern unbearable. At the moment I'm thinking 'Am I not allowed to be happy?'. I was getting there but now I just sit and cry all day, with no energy and no desire to do anything. People keep telling me to take care of myself, but all I want is my darling Heidi back again. I have 2 older cats - 16 and 14 - and I dread losing them but, as you say, when they're so young it just seems wrong. She and Chappy had do many more cat things to do. They say grief is the price we pay for love and I certainly feel that way at the moment. I do hope we'll all be reunited with our beloved pets one day and hopefully we'll all find a way to carry on. 

• Moderators

I just read this article, and it reminded me of something I did with my grief support group a while back, incorporating that person/animal into our life in another way...I will list the article and then the grief topic we discussed.

https://blog.aftertalk.com/how-do-i-live-without/

What it Means to ‘Change Your Relationship With Grief’

There are things that you get over in life. For example a cold, your first breakup, or an argument with a good friend. More often than not, these things happen, they cause temporary misery, maybe you learn from it, and then you let bygones be bygones. Many experiences follow a similar pattern and with good reason. There are things we can and should leave in the past for the benefit of everyone, just imagine how much pain and negativity we’d all carry around if we could never forget and move on.

That said, it is a mistake to think that all painful experiences can and should be gotten over. There are times when such a shift simply isn’t possible – people can’t always change the way they think, feel, and behave simply because they want to. It’s common to think that, in these instances, one can go to therapy or take medication and be cured of these problems, but many people who’ve experienced things like serious hardship, trauma, addiction, and psychological disorder will tell you that healing isn’t about putting these experiences in the past, rather it’s about changing their relationship to the related thoughts, memories, behaviors, and emotions that exist in the present.

There are also times when ‘getting over’ something or ‘forgetting’ isn’t even desirable, such as getting over or forgetting about a deceased loved one and their ongoing absence. Still, many people mistakenly think that grief is something that can and should end at some point. Those who understand grief in hindsight may think this is a foolish mistake, but I would argue it’s common and understandable considering how little people know about grief before experiencing it. Especially those who live in societies where people are quick to believe that grief runs a linear and finite course and, as a consequence, encourage grieving people to push forward and let the woes of the past disappear like water under the bridge.

The reality of grief is that it often stays with you until the day you, yourself, die. For those who think of grief as being all negative emotion, I can see where this may seem unmanageable, but rest assured the impact of grief changes over time. As you change your relationship with grief – by changing how you respond to, cope with, and conceptualize grief – you will likely also find hope and healing. If you think about it, grief is one instance where there is a strong benefit to accepting its ongoing presence in your life because doing so creates more room for comfort, positive memories, and an ongoing connection with the person who died.

I understand this progression because I’ve experienced it, but I’m sure it can be difficult to believe if you haven’t. Initially, I thought about writing a post titled something like ‘5 Ways Your Relationship With Grief Changes Overtime’, but then I changed my mind. Grief is unique, relationships are unique and so your relationship with grief and with the person who died will evolve in a complex and nuanced way.  So, instead of generalizing and categorizing, I’m going to share how my relationship with grief changed over time.  At the end, please share your own insights about how your relationship with grief has or has not changed in the comment’s section.

At first I tried to outrun, wait out, hide from, and ignore grief.

Eventually, I realized my grief wasn’t going anywhere so I could either run from it forever or give in and experience it.  Once the cloud of grief consumed me, it was hard to see or feel anything else.  This sucked but only slightly more than the running.

In the early days of grief, it felt like all the light had been drained from the world and everything was dark.  But as the fog of acute grief thinned, a little bit of light crept in and things started to look a little less scary and a little more manageable.

I grew less intimidated by my grief and increasingly confident in my ability to handle its ups and downs, twists, and turns.  Once I was able to look grief head on, I realized it’s made up of both good things and bad.  Grief grows from the same seeds as love so after someone dies, one seldom exists without the other.

Over time my relationship with grief has changed.  I see it now as something as nuanced, complex, and beautiful as my relationships with those who have died.  Though its ongoing presence is sometimes challenging, I embrace it because it’s a source of love and connection with those who have died.

---What’s Your Grief

My Footnote:

At first I was in shock, terrified, anxious.  Friends disappeared, adding to the hurt and confusion.  I felt alone, abandoned and didn’t know a roadmap through this.  I tried rebuilding my life but was thick in grief fog, no clarity of thought and everything I tried was disastrous.  It took much time to process my grief, but I did, through allowing myself to feel the emotions, pain and all, and not trying to cover them up or rush through this.

I found that grief is not 100% negative, but there’s benefits to having gone through this.  I began to look at life and death differently.  Rather than hating my loss and grief, I began to see the benefits of  having experienced this.  I became more empathetic, more able to help someone else going through it (comforting with the same comfort God has comforted us), I began to appreciate each day and value life as a gift and live in the present moment.  I found purpose again. 

I’ve discovered that grief isn’t for a set period of time, but is with me for life, although it evolves throughout my journey and changes form.  I’m no longer afraid of it, it has become my constant companion as I’ve learned to coexist with grief.

Little by little I’ve built a life I can live.  Finding balance, interaction with others, and solitude, time with my furry family.  Activities, not to crowd out the pain, but to experience life even with its changes.

One of the benefits as I’ve had to tackle life and its decisions on my own is the confidence its built.

I’ve given myself permission to smile and realized that it is not my grief that binds me to him, but our love, and that continues still.

Archived