Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Having trouble eating

Nicole-my grief journey

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Since my mom and brother have passed away I have been having trouble eating. I buy nutritious things and also comfort food, but a lot of time can’t bring myself to eat. Wondering if anyone else is like this? I know I can talk to my therapist about it, but just want to hear from people grieving about their experiences. 

• Moderators

Loss of appetite is very common in grief.  I lost all my appetite between around the 2 and 6 month mark.  I knew it was a bit of a problem, and got around it by having lots of small things.  Things like just a fruit cup in the morning, then late morning a granola bar, half a sandwich for lunch, a few vegetables when I got home from work, then just a baked chicken breast for dinner.  By keeping the servings small, but doing a lot of them, it got me back into the routine of eating.  Also it was easier to "force" myself to eat with the smaller portions.  I also used prepackaged goods for most of it.  I prefer cooking myself, and I know the health concerns with most prepackaged foods, but during that period with little to no appetite, I found it was more important to not have the excuse of "I don't feel like cooking".  I don't know if any of that will work for you, but it might be something to try.  Hoping you find it helpful,

Herc

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Thank you ModHerc,

That does help. I needed to know I’m not the only one. I had this problem when my brothers died. It seems like I have it worse regarding losing my mom. I noticed that now that I’m taking a break from my family’s house and in my own space, that I’m doing a little better with it the last couple of days. I know it has to be connected to my grief, anxiety and depression. Because now that I’ve had a couple of days out of town and I’m not as on edge, I’m hungry and able to eat some fruit, nuts and other snacks. I will keep working at it. I bought some small higher protein things like greek yogurt and prepackaged like you said to try and make it easier to put something in me without the added step of cooking which I feel is overwhelming still. Hopefully I can gain back my weight and appetite. I know it will help my mind too if I have good nutrition. 

Archived