Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My grandma is sick and my mom is losing herself

MT23

• Members

I’m pretty new to these forum things so I’m not entirely sure how they work. But I’m 23 years old and my grandma is currently battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer right now. It’s been a rough couple of months for my mom and I and on yesterday on Christmas Eve we got more bad news. She had developed an infection In her liver as well as a UTI and a blockage in her kidney. She’s not doing terribly but not doing good, somewhere in the middle. But this all happening around Christmas time is just making it unbearable for my mom and I. My mother has always been a blessing in my life, she is a very strong woman and someone who I can’t live without right now. I didn’t have a father growing up so she was both my parents. this whole situation has made her so unstable and I don’t know if she’s gonna be okay if my grandmothers condition gets worse. She’s been hyperventilating, and crying uncontrollably, and battling depression and anxiety and I just wanna be there to support her through this but it’s just so unbelievably hard when I’m also fighting depression and anxiety too. I want her to be okay but I feel like throughout all this I’m losing her. 

• Members

Dear MT23,

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma's condition. I know this is an incredibility difficult and sad time. I don't know if the hospital can offer some additional supports to your mom. A pastor, a counsellor or even volunteer that can just listen and help her access any resources she might need.

I know no one wants to see their mom go through so much pain and sorrow. You are loving daughter for wanting to look out for your mom.

Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived