Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How can she be happy when we're so sad

Autumnleaves

• Members

I was brought up in a very Christian household. Both my parents were incredibly devout. I accepted their beliefs as my own until about 6 years ago when I experienced a traumatic breakdown and my whole belief framework was shaken and virtually destroyed.

When mum died six weeks ago I found a question kept coming to my mind. I was very glad that I believed she was relieved of pain and suffering and was experiencing joy in heaven, but how could that be when she could see the magnitude of our grief down here? I had never thought of that before but it has been bothering me somewhat since. She was the most selfless person I know and hated to see others suffering so how can I reconcile the idea of a painfree/tearless heaven with an empathetic mum who loved us all so dearly? It doesn't add up!

• Members

Dear Autumnleaves,

I am so sorry for your loss.

What you are asking is normal and I wish I had a good answer for you. I think it depends on your perspective. I wouldn't see it as your mum being happy that you are sad. It is more that your mum I has been released from her pain and suffering. I know its horribly sad to still be on this earth missing her so much. People are trying to comfort us by reassuring us that this part of the human journey. Once someone passes they are released and free and watching over us. It is still hard to come to terms with.

I just wanted you to know you are not alone in this struggle.

Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived