Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I Lost My Two Loving Cats!

Droniamicr

• Members

I feel inconsolable. Last week my precious 18 year old female cat died from kidney disease after five

years. Thelast 6 months she suffered from loss of appetite, temporary blindness and lethargy...

She slept with me in bed every night like a person and we loved each other. I will always miss her company because I have none now.

My male cat was only 12 when he suddenly got very sick, probably kidney disease. He looked

awful. I feel guilty I did not have more tests done like ultrasound. Two vets thought it was hopeless.

The little guy had much energy and curiosity and loved to eat! I just wish he had moretime. I feel

that he was cheated out of life.

These were my children, friends and close "family". No more cats for me. My heart is broken. I feel that NO one understands my loss.

• Members

I understand your pain completely. I lost my dog Bella on Sunday. She had lymphoma. I had to make the decision to take her pain away. I have not stopped crying since. There is such an emptiness in the house and in my heart. I have no advice for you but know that you are not alone. I joined a Facebook group for pet loss and it is helping, although I cry reading the posts! It may well help you too! It’s called Per Loss & Bereavement. I posted my experience on there and the replies I got were overwhelming. 

• Moderators

Been there, too many times. I will likely always have pets because I can't imagine life without them and there's so many that need homes.  I don't want fear of loss to have power over me, power to change me and who I am.  I know the pain all too well, I've had 14 cats and 9 dogs in my lifetime, that's a whole lot of loss.  In my estimation, loss of our beloved animals can be one of the hardest losses we can go through, the only one harder for me was my sweet husband thirteen years ago.

I am so very sorry for your loss, to lose not one but BOTH of your cats is indeed very hard.  18 years is a long life for a cat, even 12 isn't too bad, but I agree, all too short.  I know we aren't meted out life an equal number of years, some live a long time, some die way too young and you're all too right, it's unfair.  Cheated out of life, that's how I felt about my husband, he'd just turned 51.  Why do some live into their 90s and he died so young?  I've never gotten any answers to my "whys", I finally quit asking.  All I know is I was blessed to have him in my life at all.  And that's how I'll have to look at it when my Arlie and my Kitty go.  I don't know how I'll go on, how I'll face it, but I know it will be much like when I lost my George (husband), a day at a time, trying to look for whatever good I can find in the day and embrace it.  

Bless your heart, Frank-Walk, for your response, even in the midst of your fresh pain.  We may not be able to change anyone's circumstances or make them feel better, but we can acknowledge their grief and hear their pain.

• Members

I can feel your pain...I recently lost my 6 years old cat from lymphoma...out of nowhere..I also feel that he was cheated out of life..like Kay C says it is unfair that they have a low life expectancy in comparison to ours,plus there are many lethal diseases that may occur to them and the pain of their loss is great,but think about that if you haven't adopted them they probably wouldn't have so much love and joy...that's what counts at the end..it's what we "give" and "take" that's most important. 

• Moderators

That's so true, Emma, and a good way to look at it...we really did give them the best life possible.  They don't understand quantity of years or time so they don't feel gypped, but we do.  They are at peace and not hurting now so it's us doing the suffering they're in that place where there is no pain and someday we'll join them, that gives me hope and more peace than I'd have otherwise.  Now if only this darned pain would go away!

• Members

Yes to lose but the TWO beloved cats of ours and within a short period of time is double and unendurable pain - that is a fact of life and there is little or nothing that is going to gloss over such Loss or Losses. It changes the way you look at life and it fills you with dread. I love reading @KayC say that they are at Peace and not hurting now. One of my cats died from kidney disease and was treated for it to no avail and to much of his distress. He that he known no suffering before and deserved none. I am so sorry for your loss @Droniamicr and can only assure you that here we understand your loss completely, having all and each experienced ours. We are all trying to bear with it, but it is hard. There are wiser people here than me to listen to and much, much kindness. This is a safe place, welcome. ❤️

• Members
On 12/6/2018 at 6:08 PM, KayC said:

That's so true, Emma, and a good way to look at it...we really did give them the best life possible.  They don't understand quantity of years or time so they don't feel gypped, but we do.  They are at peace and not hurting now so it's us doing the suffering they're in that place where there is no pain and someday we'll join them, that gives me hope and more peace than I'd have otherwise.  Now if only this darned pain would go away!

Like you said,they don't share the same knowledge of time and they're at peace now...when i lost my lovely guy and i was inconsolable,cause i was thinking how tragic his last two days after the surgery,might have been,being at the vet and me seeing him only few times and i had all kind of remorse feeling me,my sister told me that i had the concept of tragic in my mind,but he knew that i loved him and he was at peace when he died...I also believe that we will join them again,cause they are a piece of our souls...this darned pain always stays like a thorn in our hearts,a piece that is missing..but the love we shared we them will never die...

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss and understand what you are going through.  My little Macey just passed November 21 f I’m chronic renal failure at the age of 10.  My little boy has the same.  Unfortunately there is no cure and being a renal nurse I know this.  

Please know that they knew and felt your love.  This is so apparent from your post

This by no means makes this easier and our babies are our life.  I too feel guilt, sadness and empty having the loss in my home.  

I said never 17 years ago but I was too lonely and gave three more babies unconditional love and a good home.  Maybe with time you will feel this way too.

Know we are here for you and this site has brought me comfort.

Hugs and sending you strength 

Dee

Archived